Aug 31, 2009, 4:49 PM EST
It’s worked out well for the Cardinals, so now the Giants will try to give their rotation a boost by picking up one of Boston’s castoffs. In this case, it’s Brad Penny, who went 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA in his first and possibly last stint in the American League.
Penny’s lack of success wasn’t velocity related. According to Baseball Info Solutions data, he’s averaging 94.0 mph with his fastball, tying him with Felix Hernandez for the eighth-best mark in baseball. The problem is that he couldn’t come up with a second pitch to keep hitters even a little off balance. His usually reliable curveball let him down in a huge way against American League hitters, forcing him to try a slider occasionally of late. That seemed to be working better for him, though he still gave up eight runs to the Yankees in his final start with the team.
Odds are that things will go a whole lot better for Penny back in the NL. He’s more familiar with the hitters, and he should get more defensive support from the Giants than he was from the Red Sox. He’s not going to dominate unless he rediscovers his curve, but he should be a big upgrade from Joe Martinez in the fifth spot in San Francisco’s rotation. He’ll also have a month to see if he can unseat Jonathan Sanchez from the postseason rotation should the Giants claim the wild card or the NL West.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)