Aug 31, 2009, 4:49 PM EDT
It’s worked out well for the Cardinals, so now the Giants will try to give their rotation a boost by picking up one of Boston’s castoffs. In this case, it’s Brad Penny, who went 7-8 with a 5.61 ERA in his first and possibly last stint in the American League.
Penny’s lack of success wasn’t velocity related. According to Baseball Info Solutions data, he’s averaging 94.0 mph with his fastball, tying him with Felix Hernandez for the eighth-best mark in baseball. The problem is that he couldn’t come up with a second pitch to keep hitters even a little off balance. His usually reliable curveball let him down in a huge way against American League hitters, forcing him to try a slider occasionally of late. That seemed to be working better for him, though he still gave up eight runs to the Yankees in his final start with the team.
Odds are that things will go a whole lot better for Penny back in the NL. He’s more familiar with the hitters, and he should get more defensive support from the Giants than he was from the Red Sox. He’s not going to dominate unless he rediscovers his curve, but he should be a big upgrade from Joe Martinez in the fifth spot in San Francisco’s rotation. He’ll also have a month to see if he can unseat Jonathan Sanchez from the postseason rotation should the Giants claim the wild card or the NL West.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)