Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 AM EDT
* Tim Lincecum’s next start has been pushed back one day after he threw a season-high 127 pitches while shutting out the Rockies for eight innings Friday. Lincecum has thrown 115 or more pitches in six of his last seven outings, so the Giants are definitely riding their 25-year-old ace extremely hard.
* As expected when he signed a minor-league contract last week, Jason Giambi will likely be among the Rockies’ call-ups when rosters expand tomorrow. Giambi is 7-for-16 (.438) with two homers and five walks in five games at Triple-A after hitting just .193 in 83 games with the A’s.
* Derek Jeter shot down last week’s New York Post story claiming that he’s engaged to actress Minka Kelly, because obviously you wouldn’t want a nasty, vicious rumor like that spreading. Undeterred, the Post is now reporting that Alex Rodriguez and girlfriend Kate Hudson recently bought “matching straw hats for $45 each” Seriously, that’s the lead item in a gossip column.
* Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune downplays a possible Twins trade for Rich Harden by noting that Minnesota hadn’t even requested his medical records as of last night. Normally that may not be such a big deal, but I imagine that Harden’s medical records come with their own team of handlers, like the Stanley Cup or an elephant.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)