Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 AM EST
* Tim Lincecum’s next start has been pushed back one day after he threw a season-high 127 pitches while shutting out the Rockies for eight innings Friday. Lincecum has thrown 115 or more pitches in six of his last seven outings, so the Giants are definitely riding their 25-year-old ace extremely hard.
* As expected when he signed a minor-league contract last week, Jason Giambi will likely be among the Rockies’ call-ups when rosters expand tomorrow. Giambi is 7-for-16 (.438) with two homers and five walks in five games at Triple-A after hitting just .193 in 83 games with the A’s.
* Derek Jeter shot down last week’s New York Post story claiming that he’s engaged to actress Minka Kelly, because obviously you wouldn’t want a nasty, vicious rumor like that spreading. Undeterred, the Post is now reporting that Alex Rodriguez and girlfriend Kate Hudson recently bought “matching straw hats for $45 each” Seriously, that’s the lead item in a gossip column.
* Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune downplays a possible Twins trade for Rich Harden by noting that Minnesota hadn’t even requested his medical records as of last night. Normally that may not be such a big deal, but I imagine that Harden’s medical records come with their own team of handlers, like the Stanley Cup or an elephant.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)