Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 AM EDT
* Tim Lincecum’s next start has been pushed back one day after he threw a season-high 127 pitches while shutting out the Rockies for eight innings Friday. Lincecum has thrown 115 or more pitches in six of his last seven outings, so the Giants are definitely riding their 25-year-old ace extremely hard.
* As expected when he signed a minor-league contract last week, Jason Giambi will likely be among the Rockies’ call-ups when rosters expand tomorrow. Giambi is 7-for-16 (.438) with two homers and five walks in five games at Triple-A after hitting just .193 in 83 games with the A’s.
* Derek Jeter shot down last week’s New York Post story claiming that he’s engaged to actress Minka Kelly, because obviously you wouldn’t want a nasty, vicious rumor like that spreading. Undeterred, the Post is now reporting that Alex Rodriguez and girlfriend Kate Hudson recently bought “matching straw hats for $45 each” Seriously, that’s the lead item in a gossip column.
* Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune downplays a possible Twins trade for Rich Harden by noting that Minnesota hadn’t even requested his medical records as of last night. Normally that may not be such a big deal, but I imagine that Harden’s medical records come with their own team of handlers, like the Stanley Cup or an elephant.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)