Aug 31, 2009, 10:50 AM EST
There are reports that Minnesota is not willing to pay the price on their waiver claim of Rich Harden, but Phil Rogers of the Tribune says that “Twins general manager Bill Smith is going to wake up Monday, consider how catchable the Detroit Tigers remain and pay the price.”
I dunno. The Twins are 4.5 games out. Harden will get, what, 4-5 more starts in the last month? Maybe 6? I know he can impact more than just the games in which he pitches by helping the bullpen and all of that, but there’s not a ton I’ve seen from this Twins team that suggests to me that they have a strong, final-month run in them, with Harden or without him. And it’s not as if they’ll be players for the soon-to-be free agent either.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)