Sep 1, 2009, 12:55 PM EDT
Earlier this season Luis Ayala talked his way out of Minnesota by walking into manager Ron Gardenhire’s office and complaining about his role, suggesting that he should be the Twins’ eighth-inning setup man despite sporting a 4.18 ERA and .306 opponents’ batting average in 32.1 innings spent primarily in middle relief.
Here’s what Gardenhire said at the time:
When you walk into my office and tell me you don’t like your role, and he talked about his contract for next year, you lose me right there. I don’t deal with that. We’re talking about winning now. That’s why he’s out the door and another guy’s in there to pitch. And it’s not because he’s a bad guy. His theories are a little different.
After being released by the Twins he eventually signed a minor-league deal with the Marlins, who called Ayala up a couple times and let him go 0-3 with an 11.74 ERA in 10 appearances before designating him for assignment yesterday.
And naturally Ayala is now unhappy with how the Marlins treated him:
It was terrible what they did. I don’t know why they called me up if they were going to do this. I think it’s a lack of respect. I know it’s a business, but for me, it’s something they’ve handled poorly.
In fairness to Ayala, he’s more or less an expert on handling things poorly. Since the beginning of last season he’s been paid approximately $4 million to go 3-15 with a 5.68 ERA in 115.2 innings, and when not alienating his employers with his performance he’s burned bridges with his mouth. Or as Gardenhire put it: “His theories are a little different.”
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (76)