Sep 1, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Mel Gibson’s death scene in “Braveheart” didn’t last this long:
Old Glory still flies in Tiger Stadium’s center field, surrounded by foothills of concrete and twisted steel, shards of scrunched up plastic.
The half-gutted carcass of an elevator shaft looms high over the rubble, bearing witness to incomplete destruction, bureaucratic folly, bad timing and the near-total failure of love to fix any of it.
All work stopped weeks ago, without public explanation, amid territorial negotiations between state and city officials over the final tear-down.
The demolition, the article notes, is into its 14th month. It didn’t take that long to build the original structure in 1911-12. What an absolute disgrace.
(thanks to reader YankeeFan Len for the link. Here’s hoping the same thing doesn’t happen to his team’s old stadium)
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17