Sep 1, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Mel Gibson’s death scene in “Braveheart” didn’t last this long:
Old Glory still flies in Tiger Stadium’s center field, surrounded by foothills of concrete and twisted steel, shards of scrunched up plastic.
The half-gutted carcass of an elevator shaft looms high over the rubble, bearing witness to incomplete destruction, bureaucratic folly, bad timing and the near-total failure of love to fix any of it.
All work stopped weeks ago, without public explanation, amid territorial negotiations between state and city officials over the final tear-down.
The demolition, the article notes, is into its 14th month. It didn’t take that long to build the original structure in 1911-12. What an absolute disgrace.
(thanks to reader YankeeFan Len for the link. Here’s hoping the same thing doesn’t happen to his team’s old stadium)
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)