Sep 1, 2009, 9:20 AM EDT
Mel Gibson’s death scene in “Braveheart” didn’t last this long:
Old Glory still flies in Tiger Stadium’s center field, surrounded by foothills of concrete and twisted steel, shards of scrunched up plastic.
The half-gutted carcass of an elevator shaft looms high over the rubble, bearing witness to incomplete destruction, bureaucratic folly, bad timing and the near-total failure of love to fix any of it.
All work stopped weeks ago, without public explanation, amid territorial negotiations between state and city officials over the final tear-down.
The demolition, the article notes, is into its 14th month. It didn’t take that long to build the original structure in 1911-12. What an absolute disgrace.
(thanks to reader YankeeFan Len for the link. Here’s hoping the same thing doesn’t happen to his team’s old stadium)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)