Sep 1, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
Johan Santana and Oliver Perez each went under the knife this morning, with Santana having bone chips removed from his left elbow and Perez having scar tissue removed from his right knee.
Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek did the honors for both pitchers and afterward the team announced that the surgeries were successful. Obviously. In the long history of professional sports, has a team ever come out immediately after a surgery and said, “Wow, that went horribly”?
Anyway, barring setbacks–which incidentally could be the title of the Mets’ season video–both Santana and Perez are expected to be fully healthy for spring training. Santana has four years and $95.5 million remaining on his contract, while Perez is still owed $12 million per season for 2010 and 2011.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)