Sep 1, 2009, 2:20 PM EDT
Johan Santana and Oliver Perez each went under the knife this morning, with Santana having bone chips removed from his left elbow and Perez having scar tissue removed from his right knee.
Mets medical director Dr. David Altchek did the honors for both pitchers and afterward the team announced that the surgeries were successful. Obviously. In the long history of professional sports, has a team ever come out immediately after a surgery and said, “Wow, that went horribly”?
Anyway, barring setbacks–which incidentally could be the title of the Mets’ season video–both Santana and Perez are expected to be fully healthy for spring training. Santana has four years and $95.5 million remaining on his contract, while Perez is still owed $12 million per season for 2010 and 2011.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)