Act now to get your David Wright helmet protector

Sep 2, 2009, 1:57 AM EDT

wright_huge_helmet_090901.jpgAs if the Mets’ season hasn’t been bad enough, now even David Wright has become a laughingstock — through no fault of his own.

On Tuesday night, Wright made his return from the disabled list, where he had landed after taking a Matt Cain fastball to the noggin.

The incident was frightening, so precautions were taken to protect the cranium of New York’s star third baseman in the form of a giant batting helmet.

Remember the old commercial from Saturday Night Live featuring the “Gary Busey helmet protector,” which was a large foam covering made to be placed over the top of a motorcycle helmet? That’s sort of what Wright looked like.

Another comparison – courtesy of Newday’s David Lennon? The Great Gazoo.

According to Lennon, Mets, Rockies and Rockies fans all took pleasure in poking fun at Wright, looking as sharp as he was in his little league helmet. (By the way, it will be mandatory in the minor leagues next season)

Wright admitted that the helmet did need some adjustments. It had a tendency to slide down over his eyes while he was running. Wright also nearly killed Troy Tulowitzki when the giant helmet rocketed off his head at second base.

“There were times I couldn’t get it to fit,” Wright said. “I don’t know – maybe I got an odd-shaped head.”

Still, Wright plans to stick with the helmet, and there is no truth to the rumor that he will try a chinstrap when he returns to the lineup on Thursday.

For video goodness, click here.

******

If you Twitter, and only wear safe headgear while operating your computer, follow me at @Bharks.

1. Bill@TDS - Sep 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Kudos to Wright for throwing it right in Jeff Francoeur’s vain ugly petty obnoxious terrible-at-baseball face and wearing the thing, but…yeah, I wasn’t at all prepared for something that ridiculous. I suppose if everybody had to wear it we’d all just get used to it eventually, but yikes.

2. Dave - Sep 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM

We’re making fun of this, why?
    Come on.

3. kirk - Sep 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM

That helmet is absolutley ridiculous! I wonder if Joe Diamggio, Babe Ruth, and Ty Cobb (as well as Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito)would ever consider wearing a helmet like that. Boy, have times changed. They should make a similar helmet for Omar Minaya, so he could cover his eyes and not see the mess he has created.

4. kirk - Sep 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM

5. Grant - Sep 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I bet Ray Chapman would wear it…

6. Kim G - Sep 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Kirk, what a ridiculous comment. Really? Obviously you have never had a concussion. Are you aware it’s a pretty serious injury? Who cares what the helmet looks like, the guy is still a great hitter. So if Babe Ruth wore the helmet he would be a worse hitter? Stupid. Yes, times have changed, wake up Kirk. They throw a harder ball in the 90s now and the players are mean.

7. kirk - Sep 2, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I never said that David Wright was not a good hitter. In fact, I respect him for his on field and off field actions. He is a remarkable person who is hands down the “New Franchise” in Mets history. The team is really not good without him. Also, I used great baseball players as a reference to compliment him (not compare). I could have easily pointed out Richie Hebner, Ed Kranepool, and Frank Taveras. Not putting D-Wright Down. However, the helmet is absolutely ridiculous. To your answer your question about the concussion, I have had two sports concussions and decided to no longer play due to the increased risks. However, I do not get paid to take those risks. He does. Baseball, or any sport is a dangerous sport, and you take that risk in order to make the money they do. He should just put the normal helmet back-on. How long do you think he should wear that thing? If he is not able to play with the normal helmet, than why bother playing this year at all? He can join the rest of the team, getting rest.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2808)