Attacking Red Sox Nation

Sep 2, 2009, 10:55 AM EDT

Those of us outside the Nation do it all the time, but it’s not often you see it on the pages of the Boston Globe.  Take it away Tom Scocca!

What the Red Sox most resemble, here in 2009, is some unholy amalgamation of the postwar Brooklyn Dodgers and the Grateful Dead. The Dodgers have been mythologized by fans like Doris Kearns Goodwin – not by chance, a vocal member of Red Sox Nation – as lovable underdogs, but in their day they were neither underdogs nor lovable. They were simply the second-biggest bullies in baseball, a rich and successful franchise that could be counted on to beat up the rest of the National League and to get beaten up on by the Yankees.

Red Sox fans don’t even wait for the passage of time to worship the mysteries of their own team. The blue-shirted, pink-hatted crowds descend on other cities’ ballparks for a mass smug-in whenever the Sox are on the road . . . Like Deadheads, they’re indifferent to what city they’ve trailed into, so long as they’re bathing in the presence of like-minded worshippers: Yoooook! Duuuuude!

Rebuttals and concurrences can be submitted in the comments.

1. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 3:42 PM

SHELY, SORRY TO BUST YOUR BUBBLE, THE YANKEES HAVE 26 WORLD SERIES TITLES HOW MANY DOES BOSTON HAVE ?? IF THE ANSWER IS NOT 27 YOU MAY BE WRONG, ISN’T BOSTON ON THE EAST COAST ???
    SHELY, NEW YORK IS ALWAYS FIRST IN EVERYTHING THEN COMES EVERYONE ELSE, CHECK IT OUT, IT’S IN THE BIBLE FOR GODS SAKE.
    SHELY, WHAT YOU SMOKIN IN DA QUEEN CITY??

2. chrisj - Sep 2, 2009 at 3:51 PM

“…They’re a band beyond description
    Like Jehovah’s favorite choir.
    People joinin’ hand in hand
    While the music plays the band.
    Lord, they’re setting us on fire.”….
    Words: John Barlow
    Music: Bob Weir
    Drums: Mike Timlin

3. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM

DUDE,THANKS FOR WAITING WHILE YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION TO ME, MAKES SENSE ……….
    I REALLY HATE TALKING ABOUT TRIPLE A TEAMS………..
    SO WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE TRADE, TO GET BUBBLE GUM ,OR WAS IT THEY DIDN’T HAVE ENOUGH MONOPOLY MONEY TO RESIGN THEM, BECAUSE I KNOW THEY GET A PRETTY PENNY FROM GEORGES MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM THE YANKEES, MAYBE YOU HEARD OF THEM, THEY KICKED THE ROYALS A-S-S- WHEN THEY WERE A MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM, NOW THE ROYALS ONLY PRETEND TO BE ONE.
    I WON’T RECOGNIZE YOU UNTIL YOU HAVE A REAL TEAM, SORRY.
    BUH BYE

4. glp - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:13 PM

HOTROD, I hate to break it to you, but I’m not a Royals fan. I am, however, a fan of the truth. And yes, I have heard of the Yankees. ESPN shoves them down my throat daily. And still I don’t hate them. Why must you be into insults? This is why so many Yanks fans grate on others nerves.

5. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Detroit Tigers $115,085,145
    Los Angeles Angels $113,709,00
    Philadelphia Phillies $113,004,046
    Houston Astros $102,996,414
    Los Angeles Dodgers $100,414,592
    Seattle Mariners $98,904,166
    The Sox are ranked 4th. That payroll is supported by over 500 consecutive sellouts at a park that has the highest average cost per seat, per parking and per beer. Where else in MLB do fans travel all over the county to see their team? Will park tens of miles away and walk to take the T to see their team? Will pay $45 to park to see their team?

7. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:21 PM

YOU CLEARLY HAVE A ATTITUDE PROBLEM AND YOU NEED A GOOD TUNE UP
    EAST COAST STYLE………….

8. HOTROD - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM

ESPN DOES NOT SHOVE THEM DOWN YOUR THROAT, SO THAT IS NOT A TRUTH.
    I RATHER THE YANKEES AND METS NOT BE ON FOX OR ESPN BECAUSE THEY LOSE WHEN THEY ARE AND THEN I HAVE TO HEAR TIM McCARVER TELL ME ABOUT WHEN HE PLAYED WITH GIBSON OR THAT PUJOLS IS THE BEST PLAYER IN BASEBALL OR WHEN HE TALKS ABOUT THE PHILLIES FOR AN ENTIRE INNING OF MET/BRAVE GAME.I DID NOT INSULT YOU, I INSULTED THE ROYALS AND THE CHEAP TEAM OWNERS WHO STUFF THEIR POCKETS.MAYBE IF YOU CALL ESPN THEY WILL AIR MORE PITTSBURG/ WASHNGTON GAMES, WE ALL WOULD LOVE THAT.

9. Dave - Sep 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Throat = shoved:

10. riscifiguy - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I gotta agree with Tom on the other cities not supporting their teams.
    Get off your butt and go support your team.
    Get up, buy up, sell out and block out the outside fans.

11. Makemelaugh - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Yeah, Shely…what the hell are you talking about?? Get some rest…it’s Bingo night tonight.

12. Nate - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM

New England sports fans have always been despised by the rest of the country because they do such a poor job of staying in their place. The rest of the country doesn’t like Yankees fans either, but they do a better job of knowing their place and staying in NY (excepting retirees to FL, obv).
    The only reason that Sox fans weren’t as poorly regarded as Yankee fans prior to 04 was pity.

13. Red Sox 1935 - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM

ESPN tonite
    Rays/Red Sox no Yankees.
    Yankees this year like the Angels last year running away.
    Playoffs bring on stress when it starts 0-0 and then the choking starts.
    Forget history this is 2009.
    Be careful what you wish for!

14. Boston George - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I’m not sure any of you crazies represent the teams you’re defending (or who’s rivals you’re trashing). You represent a portion of sports fans who are bitter, over-opinionated and miserable for some reason. Hey, without you there would be no sports talk radio.

15. ecp - Sep 2, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Hotrod, you may have noticed – no, wait, it’s clear you didn’t notice – that I said I ENJOY watching the Yankees…and yes, the Red Sox too (maybe that’s what puts you off about the point I am futilely trying to make). But I enjoy watching other teams too, as would other fans. I understand that’s incomprehensible to you. And yes, when in excess of 50% of all ESPN games broadcast feature the AL East, they are being shoved down our throats.
    And hey…that’s just on ESPN. We’re not even counting Fox and MLB Net here. They’re not any better.

16. Chris - Sep 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Craig Calcaterra – a “writer” in search of a story. So now he’s attacking fans?

17. baseball fan - Sep 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Stupid, sick thing to say. You are either very young, or extremely stupid. I have had to many people I care about, their family and friends impacted by cancer. When you grow up you will realize what a stupid thing you said. It is nothing to kid about.

18. JeffH - Sep 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Hey Hotrod, turn off your caps lock, you inbred east coast idiot. Any attitude problem you think I have comes from having the liberal east coast media shove their biased, pompous, self-important view points down the throats of the rest of the country.
    F the RedSux…… F the Crank Yankers

19. mark audette - Sep 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Red Sox nation is the proud fraternity that love the Resox. They may reside in different cities far afield of fenway,yet fenway is the ballpark of thier dreams. Thier memories of past teams, younger days; is all they need to get out and see the Red Sox when they visit. No matter the owners, no matter the standings, no matter hometown loyalties; the Sox are thier team. Win,lose, matters not,it’s being there to root for the Sox. Winning is not the only measure of success.

20. yankees4eva - Sep 2, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Hey chowda heads, calm down or else I’ll get Porcello oh yah.

21. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Sep 3, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Baseball fan
    Craig’s Joke
    Your head
    woooosh

22. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM

I CAN’T TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK, I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T TURN IT OFF.
    SEND MONEY, GUNZ AND LAWYERS …………
    THE REST OF THE COUNTRY DOES NOT MATTER, ONLY NEW YORK MATTERS, U
    KNOW WHY, GOD SAID SO, HE BLESSED NEW YORK………..CURSED
    EVRYONE ELSE, CHECK IT OUT.
    JEFF WHY DON’T YOU JUMP ROPE WITH THE OTHER LADIES OR GO WATCH THE VIEW OR SOMETHING……..

23. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM

I CAN’T TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK, I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T TURN IT OFF.
    SEND MONEY, GUNZ AND LAWYERS …………
    THE REST OF THE COUNTRY DOES NOT MATTER, ONLY NEW YORK MATTERS, U
    KNOW WHY, GOD SAID SO, HE BLESSED NEW YORK………..CURSED
    EVRYONE ELSE, CHECK IT OUT.

24. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I CAN’T TURN OFF MY CAPS LOCK, I’VE FALLEN AND I CAN’T TURN IT OFF.
    SEND MONEY, GUNZ AND LAWYERS …………
    THE REST OF THE COUNTRY DOES NOT MATTER, ONLY NEW YORK MATTERS, U
    KNOW WHY, GOD SAID SO, HE BLESSED NEW YORK………..CURSED
    EVRYONE ELSE, CHECK IT OUT.

25. HOTROD - Sep 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM

THIS IS JUST SICK, R U CRAZY, WINNING IS EVERYTHING ……….
    YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME……….. HELLO

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3823)