Sep 2, 2009, 11:55 AM EST
* Recently retired Luis Gonzalez said yesterday that he’s “hoping and praying” the full list of players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 is revealed because “I’m hoping I get a lot of apologies when that list comes out.”
“I’m really one of those other 500 guys in the league that hopes that list comes out so I can walk around and nobody whispers behind my back, saying that he did it that year.” By “that year” he means 2001, when Gonzalez hit 57 homers at the age of 33 after never topping 31 before or after.
* Last night at Dodger Stadium a remote-control airplane flew above the field before crashing into a fence next to the Diamondbacks’ dugout. Amusingly, players had vastly different reactions to the odd situation.
Matt Kemp said: “That was tight, I liked that. That stayed in the air for a cool two or three minutes.” On the other hand, Augie Ojeda picked up the crashed airplane and then ripped it into two pieces as the crowd booed. Bully.
* Dallas Braden has been one of the few bright spots in Oakland this season, posting a 3.89 ERA in 22 starts, but he’s reportedly “extremely unlikely to be back this year” because of lingering foot problems.
* X-rays came back negative after Adam Jones injured his ankle last night, but Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com notes that “he’s in a lot of pain at the moment and he figures to be out of the lineup for a while.”
* Back problems may relegate Gary Sheffield to pinch-hitting duties down the stretch.
* Jorge Posada: Great at hitting, not so great at counting.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)