Sep 2, 2009, 3:32 PM EDT
* Mark Divver of the Providence Journal notes that Joel Zumaya has thrown more 100-mph pitches this season than everyone else in baseball combined.
And he’s been out since mid-July with a shoulder injury. Amazing. Zumaya threw 584 pitches this season and 198 of them cracked triple digits.
* Gil LeBreton of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes that no one seems quite sure whether Neftali Feliz will be start or relieve after this season, but hopefully the Rangers will at least give him a chance to succeed in the rotation.
* Interesting stat passed along by Keith Law of ESPN.com, via Twitter: “The AL has won 57.5 percent of interleague games the last four years. That’s a 93-69 record per 162 games.”
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)