Sep 2, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Adrian Beltre came to his senses and decided to start wearing a protective cup upon returning from the disabled list yesterday.
He confessed to never wearing a cup, but three weeks on the sidelines with a testicle injury caused by a ground ball apparently changed his mind.
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has more:
Beltre is getting fed up with all the questions and jokes flying around the past three weeks since he injured a testicle while trying to field a ground ball without the proper equipment.
But while he says he’ll never answer that particular question again, manager Don Wakamatsu did the talking for him. “Adrian will wear a cup tonight,” Wakamatsu said. “He’s played his whole career without it, but we’re just talking about for the future. Making sure that everything stays intact. It’s important for him to do that.”
Beltre might be “getting fed up” with all the jokes, but his teammates apparently aren’t. Thanks to Ken Griffey Jr., when Beltre came to the plate last night for the first time the theme from “The Nutcracker” was played over the PA system.
I’m absolutely amazed that Beltre seemingly still had to be talked into donning a cup, because had the same gruesome thing happened to me I’d probably wear one 24 hours a day for the rest of my life. You know, just to, as Don Wakamatsu says, “make sure that everything stays intact.”
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 1
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 67
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)