Penny says he would play in the AL East again

Sep 2, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT

The conventional wisdom is that Brad Penny no longer wants any part of the American League. This CW is backed by a rumor that he nixed a trade to the Twins for the sole reason that they’re an AL team.  Penny — prompted, I’d guess, by his agent — denied that yesterday:

“I’d go back,” said Penny, who will start for the Giants Wednesday night against the Phillies.
“I think if I make my pitches against anyone, I’ll do fine. . . .
Sometimes you don’t get breaks. I was making some bad pitches, and
leaving some balls up. In the AL East, you can’t really do that.”

Would he really go back? Maybe yes, maybe no, but there’s definitely no way a guy like him wants to go into the free agent market without at least a credible basis for claiming to suitors that the Yankees are prepared to give him a gajillion dollars.

But just so you know, the Marlins will not be one of those suitors. Penny: “Honestly, I wasn’t going to Florida. I want to play in front of some fans.”

Ouch.

1. frank - Sep 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Funny, Penny would say that about the Marlins. He of all would people know about how BAD the baseball fans or lack of I should say really is.
    When I lived there they won the World Series and then sold the whole da#? team and then wonder why fans don’t come to the games?
    Location of the park is a problem also the surrounding HOOD and I DO mean HOOD is one of the worst in Dade co. Crack used to be the draw not baseball. Untill that team is sold, relocated or given a new ball park the only fans the Marlins have is the owner.
    A very good pitcher gets to go to a real city one where the fans love you even if you hit all your homeruns on drugs and its a great food town there is wine country not to far and lets face it Pot is just about legal there! Enjoy your stay Brad and get the fast ball moving again your stay in San Fran could make free agency your last big pay check!!!

2. hop - Sep 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Sorry Craig the Yanks are not going to offer a boat load of money to this guy. He’s injury prone, he got spanked in the AL and gives up a ton of HR’s. Hopefully the redsuks resign him again in the off season as he was a perfect fit there.

3. Grant - Sep 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I think Craig was just being snarky about Penny’s desire to maximize his value through Yankee interest. The Yankees pretty obviously don’t need a starter of Penny’s quality. But it sure would be nice for him if it looked like it. Drive the market up and all that.

4. Rick2009 - Sep 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I think Brad Penny will be lucky to pitch for anyone next year. For whatever reason ; probabable control and head problems ; Brad Penny has become inaffective at getting batters out . Of course it is possible that he and many other major league players will never reach their previous high levels of play because of mandatory testing .

5. Makemelaugh - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Hey Brad…YOU should trash the Marlins? The way you have been pitching, you couldn’t even break into THEIR rotation. Personally, I wouldn’t pay parking to see YOU pitch. I’ve seen batting practice pitchers with more movement on their pitches. Hold out for the big contract, buddy…I’m sure there’s work for you…I hear the Nationals are looking for middle relief.

6. Dave - Sep 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Lets see…Smoltz, Piniero…I’ll bet Brad goes to the Cardinals and wins 20 next year.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win