Sep 2, 2009, 6:46 PM EDT
Well it was a nice run while it lasted, Marlins fans.
As the Fish continue to slide in the standings — five back in NL wild-card race, 9 1/2 behind the Phillies — the level of frustration is on the rise, witness what happened in the clubhouse today: (via AP)
A frustrated and injured Hanley Ramirez said Wednesday that he “got some people upset” for leaving the game early the night before with an injury, then teammate Dan Uggla openly argued with the NL batting leader in the clubhouse.
Uggla accused Ramirez for a lack of desire and effort to win. He also said Ramirez wasn’t caring because he’s already secured a $70 million, six-year contract.
Ramirez has played with a tight hamstring for most of the season, and has still managed to put up an NL-best .355 average to go with 19 home runs, 85 RBIs and 24 stolen bases. But on Wednesday he said it was more than just his hamstring, but also his calf that was bothering him.
He makes $5.5 million this season, just $150,000 more than Uggla. But Uggla is on a one-year deal and not eligible for free agency until 2012, so there could be some lingering jealousy over money that boiled to the forefront during the Marlins’ recent struggles.
Either way, it doesn’t bode well for the Marlins’ playoff hopes that their best player is not only battling injuries, but potentially unhappy and lacking respect in some corners of his own clubhouse. When asked if he thought the reaction to his injury was unfair, Ramirez told the Palm Beach Post:
“Yeah but it’s OK. It hurt my feelings.”
As if chasing the Giants, Rockies, and Braves wasn’t difficult enough.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)