Sep 2, 2009, 6:46 PM EDT
Well it was a nice run while it lasted, Marlins fans.
As the Fish continue to slide in the standings — five back in NL wild-card race, 9 1/2 behind the Phillies — the level of frustration is on the rise, witness what happened in the clubhouse today: (via AP)
A frustrated and injured Hanley Ramirez said Wednesday that he “got some people upset” for leaving the game early the night before with an injury, then teammate Dan Uggla openly argued with the NL batting leader in the clubhouse.
Uggla accused Ramirez for a lack of desire and effort to win. He also said Ramirez wasn’t caring because he’s already secured a $70 million, six-year contract.
Ramirez has played with a tight hamstring for most of the season, and has still managed to put up an NL-best .355 average to go with 19 home runs, 85 RBIs and 24 stolen bases. But on Wednesday he said it was more than just his hamstring, but also his calf that was bothering him.
He makes $5.5 million this season, just $150,000 more than Uggla. But Uggla is on a one-year deal and not eligible for free agency until 2012, so there could be some lingering jealousy over money that boiled to the forefront during the Marlins’ recent struggles.
Either way, it doesn’t bode well for the Marlins’ playoff hopes that their best player is not only battling injuries, but potentially unhappy and lacking respect in some corners of his own clubhouse. When asked if he thought the reaction to his injury was unfair, Ramirez told the Palm Beach Post:
“Yeah but it’s OK. It hurt my feelings.”
As if chasing the Giants, Rockies, and Braves wasn’t difficult enough.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)