Sep 2, 2009, 6:46 PM EDT
Well it was a nice run while it lasted, Marlins fans.
As the Fish continue to slide in the standings — five back in NL wild-card race, 9 1/2 behind the Phillies — the level of frustration is on the rise, witness what happened in the clubhouse today: (via AP)
A frustrated and injured Hanley Ramirez said Wednesday that he “got some people upset” for leaving the game early the night before with an injury, then teammate Dan Uggla openly argued with the NL batting leader in the clubhouse.
Uggla accused Ramirez for a lack of desire and effort to win. He also said Ramirez wasn’t caring because he’s already secured a $70 million, six-year contract.
Ramirez has played with a tight hamstring for most of the season, and has still managed to put up an NL-best .355 average to go with 19 home runs, 85 RBIs and 24 stolen bases. But on Wednesday he said it was more than just his hamstring, but also his calf that was bothering him.
He makes $5.5 million this season, just $150,000 more than Uggla. But Uggla is on a one-year deal and not eligible for free agency until 2012, so there could be some lingering jealousy over money that boiled to the forefront during the Marlins’ recent struggles.
Either way, it doesn’t bode well for the Marlins’ playoff hopes that their best player is not only battling injuries, but potentially unhappy and lacking respect in some corners of his own clubhouse. When asked if he thought the reaction to his injury was unfair, Ramirez told the Palm Beach Post:
“Yeah but it’s OK. It hurt my feelings.”
As if chasing the Giants, Rockies, and Braves wasn’t difficult enough.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)