Sep 3, 2009, 10:22 AM EDT
Henry Schulman asks if the Giants’ surprise callup of Buster Posey is designed to “light a fire” under Bengie Molina. Call me crazy, but when you’re in a tight race for the final playoff spot, your starting catcher is hurt, and your team’s best prospect, also a catcher, just put up a .900+ OPS across two levels of minor league baseball at the age of 22, maybe the reason to call him up is less about psychological motivation and more about, you know, winning ballgames. Indeed, given Molina’s .281 OBP and the Giants’ desperate need for offense, Posey may be the guy to play even if Molina’s fire is sufficiently lit and he’s able to play more.
But I’ll grant that there’s a more subtle play involved here. It just doesn’t involve Molina’s psyche. It involves his contract, in that he won’t — or at least shouldn’t — be offered one for 2010 if Posey shows that he can handle the job this month.
I have spent a lot of time over the past few years slamming Brian Sabean for doing shortsighted things. With the Posey callup, however, he is wisely looking to the future. What’s more, assuming Posey is anything other than a total loss at the plate at the big league level these next few weeks, this future play won’t do any violence to present interests either.
I don’t believe I’m saying this, but: Well played, Mr. Sabean.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)