Sep 3, 2009, 10:22 AM EDT
Henry Schulman asks if the Giants’ surprise callup of Buster Posey is designed to “light a fire” under Bengie Molina. Call me crazy, but when you’re in a tight race for the final playoff spot, your starting catcher is hurt, and your team’s best prospect, also a catcher, just put up a .900+ OPS across two levels of minor league baseball at the age of 22, maybe the reason to call him up is less about psychological motivation and more about, you know, winning ballgames. Indeed, given Molina’s .281 OBP and the Giants’ desperate need for offense, Posey may be the guy to play even if Molina’s fire is sufficiently lit and he’s able to play more.
But I’ll grant that there’s a more subtle play involved here. It just doesn’t involve Molina’s psyche. It involves his contract, in that he won’t — or at least shouldn’t – be offered one for 2010 if Posey shows that he can handle the job this month.
I have spent a lot of time over the past few years slamming Brian Sabean for doing shortsighted things. With the Posey callup, however, he is wisely looking to the future. What’s more, assuming Posey is anything other than a total loss at the plate at the big league level these next few weeks, this future play won’t do any violence to present interests either.
I don’t believe I’m saying this, but: Well played, Mr. Sabean.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)