Sep 3, 2009, 2:16 PM EDT
Impending free agent Mike Cameron said yesterday that he’d like to remain in Milwaukee beyond this season and “would be willing to make a sacrifice to make that happen.”
Cameron is earning $10 million this season and would fetch the Brewers draft-pick compensation as a Type B free agent if he leaves, although they’d have to offer him arbitration first and there’s some risk that he could accept. Of course, that would hardly be a horrible thing.
He turns 37 years old in a few months and not many center fielders remain effective defenders at that age, but the Brewers don’t have an obvious in-house replacement ready and he’s shown no signs of decline. Cameron has an OPS above .800 for the fourth time in five seasons and remains an excellent defensive center fielder, rating 8.6 runs above average according to Ultimate Zone Rating.
Fan Graphs shows Cameron as being 38.7 runs above replacement level this year, which is good for 15th in the NL and makes him a bargain at $10 million. And while being 37 puts him at high risk to decline suddenly, Cameron has aged far better than most players and was 40.3 runs above replacement level in 2008. If he’s truly willing to give the Brewers a discount to remain in Milwaukee, they could jump at the chance.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)