Sep 3, 2009, 10:50 AM EST
Moving from San Francisco to Colorado, the Rockies look to be without their closer for the foreseeable future:
His arm caked in ice, his right biceps tendon hooked up to an electronic stimulator, Huston Street contemplated what will become of his season.
“Right now it’s wait-and-see and hope the inflammation dies down a little bit,” the Rockies closer said late Wednesday night after biceps tendonitis prevented him from putting the finishing touches on the Rockies’ 5-2 victory the Mets. “You sit back and hope that it gets better. That’s how you have to deal with tendonitis.”
Street has saved 33 of 34 chances. His replacement, Franklin Morales, is actually having a really good season too, so this may not be as gigantic headache as one might think. Morales and Street have essentially identical ERAs and strikeout rates.
Morales walks a few more guys than does Street. Which actually may not be as big a problem for him closing as it is setting up inasmuch as closers are less likely to come into games with men already on base than are eighth inning guys like Morales.
No, you never want to lose your relief ace, but Colorado will probably be OK without him. For a while anyway.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 37
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 34
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (78)