Sep 3, 2009, 10:50 AM EDT
Moving from San Francisco to Colorado, the Rockies look to be without their closer for the foreseeable future:
His arm caked in ice, his right biceps tendon hooked up to an electronic stimulator, Huston Street contemplated what will become of his season.
“Right now it’s wait-and-see and hope the inflammation dies down a little bit,” the Rockies closer said late Wednesday night after biceps tendonitis prevented him from putting the finishing touches on the Rockies’ 5-2 victory the Mets. “You sit back and hope that it gets better. That’s how you have to deal with tendonitis.”
Street has saved 33 of 34 chances. His replacement, Franklin Morales, is actually having a really good season too, so this may not be as gigantic headache as one might think. Morales and Street have essentially identical ERAs and strikeout rates.
Morales walks a few more guys than does Street. Which actually may not be as big a problem for him closing as it is setting up inasmuch as closers are less likely to come into games with men already on base than are eighth inning guys like Morales.
No, you never want to lose your relief ace, but Colorado will probably be OK without him. For a while anyway.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)