Sep 3, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
* Not only can new Red Sox pinch-runner Joey Gathright jump over parked cars, he probably could have snapped Julian Tavarez’s neck like a twig a few years ago and instead restrained himself.
* Mariano Rivera could be unavailable for a few games because of a strained groin, which has apparently bothered him since mid-August. Rivera, of course, hasn’t allowed a run since suffering the injury.
* On the other hand, Brian Bannister may have to shut things down for the season after trying to pitch through shoulder fatigue for the past six weeks. Bannister was once 7-7 with a 3.59 ERA, but has gone 0-5 while allowing 34 runs in 31 innings since.
* Andy Marte is finally showing some signs of what once made him one of the top prospects in baseball, hitting .264/.320/.448 in 25 games with the Indians. That may not look like much, but prior to last month he’d hit just .211/.265/.337 through 174 games as a major leaguer.
* Garrett Jones’ homer yesterday was the 10,000th in Pirates history.
* If the Jon Garland trade doesn’t work out for them, the Dodgers still have a good-looking option for their fifth starter.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)