Sep 3, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
* Not only can new Red Sox pinch-runner Joey Gathright jump over parked cars, he probably could have snapped Julian Tavarez’s neck like a twig a few years ago and instead restrained himself.
* Mariano Rivera could be unavailable for a few games because of a strained groin, which has apparently bothered him since mid-August. Rivera, of course, hasn’t allowed a run since suffering the injury.
* On the other hand, Brian Bannister may have to shut things down for the season after trying to pitch through shoulder fatigue for the past six weeks. Bannister was once 7-7 with a 3.59 ERA, but has gone 0-5 while allowing 34 runs in 31 innings since.
* Andy Marte is finally showing some signs of what once made him one of the top prospects in baseball, hitting .264/.320/.448 in 25 games with the Indians. That may not look like much, but prior to last month he’d hit just .211/.265/.337 through 174 games as a major leaguer.
* Garrett Jones’ homer yesterday was the 10,000th in Pirates history.
* If the Jon Garland trade doesn’t work out for them, the Dodgers still have a good-looking option for their fifth starter.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)