Sep 3, 2009, 3:20 PM EDT
* Not only can new Red Sox pinch-runner Joey Gathright jump over parked cars, he probably could have snapped Julian Tavarez’s neck like a twig a few years ago and instead restrained himself.
* Mariano Rivera could be unavailable for a few games because of a strained groin, which has apparently bothered him since mid-August. Rivera, of course, hasn’t allowed a run since suffering the injury.
* On the other hand, Brian Bannister may have to shut things down for the season after trying to pitch through shoulder fatigue for the past six weeks. Bannister was once 7-7 with a 3.59 ERA, but has gone 0-5 while allowing 34 runs in 31 innings since.
* Andy Marte is finally showing some signs of what once made him one of the top prospects in baseball, hitting .264/.320/.448 in 25 games with the Indians. That may not look like much, but prior to last month he’d hit just .211/.265/.337 through 174 games as a major leaguer.
* Garrett Jones’ homer yesterday was the 10,000th in Pirates history.
* If the Jon Garland trade doesn’t work out for them, the Dodgers still have a good-looking option for their fifth starter.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (79)