Sep 3, 2009, 4:45 PM EDT
– The Red Sox and Rays will finish off their three-game series with young guns Clay Buchholz and David Price on the mound. Buchholz took a shutout into the ninth and struck out nine in a win over the Blue Jays last time out. Price is also coming off one of his best starts of the year, as he beat the Tigers by allowing one run and five hits over 7 1/3 innings six days ago. If the Rays lose this one, they’ll fall six games back of the Red Sox for the wild card.
– The Marlins held on to win last night and can draw back even with the Braves if they can prevail in the finale of a three-game series. Drawing the starts tonight will be Tommy Hanson and Ricky Nolasco. Hanson was handed a tough loss last time out after giving up one run in two innings and then being yanked following a rain delay. He beat the Marlins by allowing three runs in seven innings on Aug. 22. Nolasco is 1-4 with a 5.08 ERA against the Braves in his career.
Game of the Night
San Francisco vs. Philadelphia – Tim Lincecum and Pedro Martinez. What else needs to be said? The game’s best pitcher versus the guy who held that same title in the late-90s and the early years of the aughts. It’s even a big game in the standings, at least for the Giants.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (135)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)