Sep 3, 2009, 4:45 PM EDT
- The Red Sox and Rays will finish off their three-game series with young guns Clay Buchholz and David Price on the mound. Buchholz took a shutout into the ninth and struck out nine in a win over the Blue Jays last time out. Price is also coming off one of his best starts of the year, as he beat the Tigers by allowing one run and five hits over 7 1/3 innings six days ago. If the Rays lose this one, they’ll fall six games back of the Red Sox for the wild card.
- The Marlins held on to win last night and can draw back even with the Braves if they can prevail in the finale of a three-game series. Drawing the starts tonight will be Tommy Hanson and Ricky Nolasco. Hanson was handed a tough loss last time out after giving up one run in two innings and then being yanked following a rain delay. He beat the Marlins by allowing three runs in seven innings on Aug. 22. Nolasco is 1-4 with a 5.08 ERA against the Braves in his career.
Game of the Night
San Francisco vs. Philadelphia – Tim Lincecum and Pedro Martinez. What else needs to be said? The game’s best pitcher versus the guy who held that same title in the late-90s and the early years of the aughts. It’s even a big game in the standings, at least for the Giants.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million