Sep 4, 2009, 10:56 AM EDT
No sense yet if the Mariners feel the same way:
“If it works out for both sides, I’m fine,” Griffey told The Associated Press before the Mariners opened a four-game series against the Oakland Athletics on Thursday night. “We’ll figure it out at the end of the year. We’ve still got 30 days.”
As Rob Neyer noted yesterday, Griffey has been a drag on the Mariners offense this season, and at his age and with his health, there is no reason to suspect that he could do any better next year.
The article mentions that Griffey’s people and the Mariners are having talks of some kind, but I can’t help but think the Mariners are only pursuing them out of deference to a guy who will be wearing their cap when he enters the Hall of Fame. All due respect to a wonderful guy who has had a wonderful career, but if Seattle brings him back, they’re simply not serious about wanting to win baseball games.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)