Sep 4, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* A’s rookie Vin Mazzaro has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start with shoulder tendinitis and Clayton Mortensen will be called up from Triple-A to take his place against the Mariners. “He’s had a little soreness in his arm and he hasn’t bounced back from start to start as much as we would have liked,” manager Bob Geren said.
Mazzaro got off to a great start in his first taste of the big leagues, but has mostly struggled with a 4-9 record, 5.32 ERA, and .319 opponents’ batting average in 17 outings. Between the majors and Triple-A he’s thrown 148 innings as a 22-year-old, so even if the shoulder problems prove minor the A’s might as well just shut him down for the season.
* Remember the Cardinals fan who fell out of the stands and faceplanted onto the field in Pittsburgh, only to be helped by Albert Pujols? Todd C. Frankel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote a very well-done article about what turned out to be a pretty amazing story.
* Giants prospects David Mixon, Ryan Shaver, and Rafael Cova combined on a no-hitter yesterday at Single-A, which is particularly impressive in the notoriously hitter-friendly California League.
* At least the Nationals can say they won something this season after their rookie-ball team took home the Gulf Coast League championship yesterday.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 16
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)