Sep 4, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* A’s rookie Vin Mazzaro has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start with shoulder tendinitis and Clayton Mortensen will be called up from Triple-A to take his place against the Mariners. “He’s had a little soreness in his arm and he hasn’t bounced back from start to start as much as we would have liked,” manager Bob Geren said.
Mazzaro got off to a great start in his first taste of the big leagues, but has mostly struggled with a 4-9 record, 5.32 ERA, and .319 opponents’ batting average in 17 outings. Between the majors and Triple-A he’s thrown 148 innings as a 22-year-old, so even if the shoulder problems prove minor the A’s might as well just shut him down for the season.
* Remember the Cardinals fan who fell out of the stands and faceplanted onto the field in Pittsburgh, only to be helped by Albert Pujols? Todd C. Frankel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote a very well-done article about what turned out to be a pretty amazing story.
* Giants prospects David Mixon, Ryan Shaver, and Rafael Cova combined on a no-hitter yesterday at Single-A, which is particularly impressive in the notoriously hitter-friendly California League.
* At least the Nationals can say they won something this season after their rookie-ball team took home the Gulf Coast League championship yesterday.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 27
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)