Sep 4, 2009, 11:50 AM EDT
* A’s rookie Vin Mazzaro has been scratched from tonight’s scheduled start with shoulder tendinitis and Clayton Mortensen will be called up from Triple-A to take his place against the Mariners. “He’s had a little soreness in his arm and he hasn’t bounced back from start to start as much as we would have liked,” manager Bob Geren said.
Mazzaro got off to a great start in his first taste of the big leagues, but has mostly struggled with a 4-9 record, 5.32 ERA, and .319 opponents’ batting average in 17 outings. Between the majors and Triple-A he’s thrown 148 innings as a 22-year-old, so even if the shoulder problems prove minor the A’s might as well just shut him down for the season.
* Remember the Cardinals fan who fell out of the stands and faceplanted onto the field in Pittsburgh, only to be helped by Albert Pujols? Todd C. Frankel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote a very well-done article about what turned out to be a pretty amazing story.
* Giants prospects David Mixon, Ryan Shaver, and Rafael Cova combined on a no-hitter yesterday at Single-A, which is particularly impressive in the notoriously hitter-friendly California League.
* At least the Nationals can say they won something this season after their rookie-ball team took home the Gulf Coast League championship yesterday.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 81
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)