Sep 4, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Longtime big-league catcher, World Series-winning manager, and current Cubs television analyst Bob Brenly, on Milton Bradley:
The bottom line is, just get the job done. He can point fingers and assign blame wherever he wants and laugh in the face of critics that he can swing the bat from the left side and he can stay healthy, but do it all year long, don’t just do it for a month of the season and proclaim yourself the guy we were looking for.
I think Milton Bradley is a much better offensive player then we’ve seen this year, I just think he’s allowed too many distractions to get between his ears, I think he incorrectly blames everybody else for making him the lightning rod. Well if you don’t want to be the lightning rod, then don’t stand on the roof in a thunderstorm with a one-iron in your hand.
It took less than half a season for Cubs fans to turn on Bradley after he signed a three-year, $30 million contract this winter and naturally he’s blaming everyone but himself for that, but Brenly has it exactly right with the analogy about lightning rods, thunderstorms, roofs, and golf clubs.
I’m sure there are specific incidents where Bradley has been unjustly criticized and treated worse than he deserves by fans or the media, but at the end of the day when every city you play in quickly gets fed up with you despite the fact that you’re a career .279/.373/.453 hitter … well, at some point the only constant in that equation is you.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)