Sep 4, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
If there was any doubt before, there is none now. Trey Hillman will return next year for a third season as the Royals’ manager. For weeks, as the club foundered, general manager Dayton Moore voiced strong support for his increasingly beleaguered manager . . .
. . . “When you evaluate any coach or manager,” Moore said, “you have to put it in a perspective of where we are as an organization and who our players are. I just believe Trey is the right leader for our baseball team, and I’m not going to waver in that at all.”
I agree with Moore totally on this. Evil scientists could have harvested the DNA of Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Sparky Anderson and Bobby Cox and built an uber-manager, Serpentor-style, and he still wouldn’t have won anything with this team.
The real culprit, as Moore says, is the guy who got the Royals “where they are as an organization” and decided “who the players are.” THAT guy should be out on his ass, my friends.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)