Sep 4, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
If there was any doubt before, there is none now. Trey Hillman will return next year for a third season as the Royals’ manager. For weeks, as the club foundered, general manager Dayton Moore voiced strong support for his increasingly beleaguered manager . . .
. . . “When you evaluate any coach or manager,” Moore said, “you have to put it in a perspective of where we are as an organization and who our players are. I just believe Trey is the right leader for our baseball team, and I’m not going to waver in that at all.”
I agree with Moore totally on this. Evil scientists could have harvested the DNA of Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Sparky Anderson and Bobby Cox and built an uber-manager, Serpentor-style, and he still wouldn’t have won anything with this team.
The real culprit, as Moore says, is the guy who got the Royals “where they are as an organization” and decided “who the players are.” THAT guy should be out on his ass, my friends.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)