Sep 4, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
If there was any doubt before, there is none now. Trey Hillman will return next year for a third season as the Royals’ manager. For weeks, as the club foundered, general manager Dayton Moore voiced strong support for his increasingly beleaguered manager . . .
. . . “When you evaluate any coach or manager,” Moore said, “you have to put it in a perspective of where we are as an organization and who our players are. I just believe Trey is the right leader for our baseball team, and I’m not going to waver in that at all.”
I agree with Moore totally on this. Evil scientists could have harvested the DNA of Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Sparky Anderson and Bobby Cox and built an uber-manager, Serpentor-style, and he still wouldn’t have won anything with this team.
The real culprit, as Moore says, is the guy who got the Royals “where they are as an organization” and decided “who the players are.” THAT guy should be out on his ass, my friends.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)