Sep 4, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
If there was any doubt before, there is none now. Trey Hillman will return next year for a third season as the Royals’ manager. For weeks, as the club foundered, general manager Dayton Moore voiced strong support for his increasingly beleaguered manager . . .
. . . “When you evaluate any coach or manager,” Moore said, “you have to put it in a perspective of where we are as an organization and who our players are. I just believe Trey is the right leader for our baseball team, and I’m not going to waver in that at all.”
I agree with Moore totally on this. Evil scientists could have harvested the DNA of Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Sparky Anderson and Bobby Cox and built an uber-manager, Serpentor-style, and he still wouldn’t have won anything with this team.
The real culprit, as Moore says, is the guy who got the Royals “where they are as an organization” and decided “who the players are.” THAT guy should be out on his ass, my friends.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)