Sep 5, 2009, 9:42 AM EDT
“I was throwing the ball to the fans. [I was] emotional. It’s nothing
bad. I know I’m not supposed to throw the ball, but I’m feeling in the
moment. … I don’t throw it to hit nobody. I think if I throw it in
the right spot, I don’t hit nobody.”
– Tigers closer Fernando Rodney, after chucking the ball into the press box in jubilation following a 4-3 win over the Rays on Friday night. Call me crazy, but considering he has walked 30 batters in 60 2/3 innings this season, I don’t have much faith in his command.
“I always like the
pressure, to tell the truth. I’ve always been a kid against the
current, always uphill. I’ve battled my butt off to get where I am. I’m
not afraid of that. I take the challenge.”
– Bengie Molina, after yet another dose of late-inning heroics. Still hobbled by a strained right quadriceps muscle, Molina connected for a go-ahead solo home run in the eighth inning of a 3-2 win over the Brewers on Friday night.
“I wasn’t throwing the ball. It’s grenade launching.”
– More accurate words have never been said,
as Nationals starter Garrett Mock was pounded for six runs on seven hits, including two home
runs, over three innings in a 9-6 loss to the Marlins on Friday night.
”Anything’s better than that other place.”
– Cubs broadcaster Ron Santo, when asked about his first visit to Citi Field.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)