Sep 5, 2009, 9:42 AM EDT
“I was throwing the ball to the fans. [I was] emotional. It’s nothing
bad. I know I’m not supposed to throw the ball, but I’m feeling in the
moment. … I don’t throw it to hit nobody. I think if I throw it in
the right spot, I don’t hit nobody.”
– Tigers closer Fernando Rodney, after chucking the ball into the press box in jubilation following a 4-3 win over the Rays on Friday night. Call me crazy, but considering he has walked 30 batters in 60 2/3 innings this season, I don’t have much faith in his command.
“I always like the
pressure, to tell the truth. I’ve always been a kid against the
current, always uphill. I’ve battled my butt off to get where I am. I’m
not afraid of that. I take the challenge.”
– Bengie Molina, after yet another dose of late-inning heroics. Still hobbled by a strained right quadriceps muscle, Molina connected for a go-ahead solo home run in the eighth inning of a 3-2 win over the Brewers on Friday night.
“I wasn’t throwing the ball. It’s grenade launching.”
– More accurate words have never been said,
as Nationals starter Garrett Mock was pounded for six runs on seven hits, including two home
runs, over three innings in a 9-6 loss to the Marlins on Friday night.
”Anything’s better than that other place.”
– Cubs broadcaster Ron Santo, when asked about his first visit to Citi Field.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 30
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 44
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)