Sep 5, 2009, 9:42 AM EDT
“I was throwing the ball to the fans. [I was] emotional. It’s nothing
bad. I know I’m not supposed to throw the ball, but I’m feeling in the
moment. … I don’t throw it to hit nobody. I think if I throw it in
the right spot, I don’t hit nobody.”
- Tigers closer Fernando Rodney, after chucking the ball into the press box in jubilation following a 4-3 win over the Rays on Friday night. Call me crazy, but considering he has walked 30 batters in 60 2/3 innings this season, I don’t have much faith in his command.
“I always like the
pressure, to tell the truth. I’ve always been a kid against the
current, always uphill. I’ve battled my butt off to get where I am. I’m
not afraid of that. I take the challenge.”
- Bengie Molina, after yet another dose of late-inning heroics. Still hobbled by a strained right quadriceps muscle, Molina connected for a go-ahead solo home run in the eighth inning of a 3-2 win over the Brewers on Friday night.
“I wasn’t throwing the ball. It’s grenade launching.”
- More accurate words have never been said,
as Nationals starter Garrett Mock was pounded for six runs on seven hits, including two home
runs, over three innings in a 9-6 loss to the Marlins on Friday night.
”Anything’s better than that other place.”
- Cubs broadcaster Ron Santo, when asked about his first visit to Citi Field.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)