Sep 5, 2009, 6:42 PM EST
- Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports takes a detailed look at the inequities of the free-agent compensation system
while advocating some changes, if not a complete overhaul. For example,
Passan finds that in the current system, Giants reliever Sergio Romo is
worth more than Rockies star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. The example is
extreme, yet valid. The current system is a complicated mess. Major
League Baseball and Elias would do everyone a favor by overhauling
these “groupings” with a little more common sense.
- In his first game back after the birth of his second child, Derrek Lee blasted two home runs while Carlos Marmol recorded a four-out save in a 5-3 win over the Mets on Saturday afternoon.
- Lance Berkman isn’t sure if he will play beyond the length of his current contract.
The 33-year-old slugger is set to earn $14.5 million in 2010 with a $15
million club option for 2011 or a $2 million buyout. “The Big Puma” is
clearly having an off-year, batting just .272/.400/.496 with 18 home
runs and 65 RBI this season. Shockingly, he hasn’t hit a home run since
- Andy Pettitte improved to 5-1 with a 2.88 ERA in 10 starts since the All-Star break with a 6-4 win over the Blue Jays on Saturday afternoon.
By the way, Derek Jeter went 2-for-4 in the win, moving to within six
hits of tying Lou Gehrig for the Yankees’ all-time hits record.
- Curt Schilling is saying things again, and it is making me glad that I don’t live in Massachusetts anymore.
- And lastly, my favorite link of the week: The 40 Most Undeserving MLB Starting Lineup Figures Ever. Former Mets great Ryan Thompson makes an appearance.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 31
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 37
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)