Sep 5, 2009, 2:48 PM EST
Jose Guillen told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com that he will miss the rest of the season:
“I won’t play anymore for the rest of the season to recover well
from the injury,” Guillen told Rojas Saturday on the phone from Kansas
“It’s a team decision, I feel bad sitting down while my teammates are playing hard on the field,” he added in a text message.
Guillen just returned from the disabled this week after missing six weeks due to a torn ligament in his right knee, but he left Wednesday’s game against the Athletics with pain in his right hamstring.
The 33-year-old outfielder has been a massive disappointment this
season, batting just .242/.314/.367 with nine homers and 40 RBI. Two
lengthy stints on the disabled list have limited him to just 81 games.
It’s no surprise that the Royals find themselves second to last in the AL in runs scored and home runs.
While it’s been a down season for Guillen any way you slice it, perhaps the most troubling aspect is his regression against southpaws.
Entering the season, Guillen had the following splits:
.281/.334/.482 vs. LHP
.270/.318/.433 vs. RHP
In fact, Guillen had recently earned the reputation of owning left-handers, hitting
them to the tune of .330/.394/.593 since the start of the 2007 season,
however, 2009 has been a very different story:
.181/.245/.309 with four home runs and 9 RBI vs. LHP
.273/.348/.396 with five home runs and 31 RBI vs. RHP
As always, beware of small sample sizes (he had only 99 at-bats
against southpaws in 2009), but coupled with his rapid deterioration,
the Royals have every reason to be wary as they prepare to pay him $12
million in 2010.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)