Sep 5, 2009, 2:48 PM EDT
Jose Guillen told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com that he will miss the rest of the season:
“I won’t play anymore for the rest of the season to recover well
from the injury,” Guillen told Rojas Saturday on the phone from Kansas
“It’s a team decision, I feel bad sitting down while my teammates are playing hard on the field,” he added in a text message.
Guillen just returned from the disabled this week after missing six weeks due to a torn ligament in his right knee, but he left Wednesday’s game against the Athletics with pain in his right hamstring.
The 33-year-old outfielder has been a massive disappointment this
season, batting just .242/.314/.367 with nine homers and 40 RBI. Two
lengthy stints on the disabled list have limited him to just 81 games.
It’s no surprise that the Royals find themselves second to last in the AL in runs scored and home runs.
While it’s been a down season for Guillen any way you slice it, perhaps the most troubling aspect is his regression against southpaws.
Entering the season, Guillen had the following splits:
.281/.334/.482 vs. LHP
.270/.318/.433 vs. RHP
In fact, Guillen had recently earned the reputation of owning left-handers, hitting
them to the tune of .330/.394/.593 since the start of the 2007 season,
however, 2009 has been a very different story:
.181/.245/.309 with four home runs and 9 RBI vs. LHP
.273/.348/.396 with five home runs and 31 RBI vs. RHP
As always, beware of small sample sizes (he had only 99 at-bats
against southpaws in 2009), but coupled with his rapid deterioration,
the Royals have every reason to be wary as they prepare to pay him $12
million in 2010.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 2
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 88
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (88)