Sep 6, 2009, 11:00 AM EST
“He’s joked around before like, ‘You need to learn how to finish them.’
And I started laughing. “He didn’t say
anything. He just looked at me in the dugout, and I go, ‘Oh, Mr.
Perfect knows how to finish them.'”
- While he’s no Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd’s brush with perfection against the Red Sox on Saturday was broken up with a sixth-inning single by Nick Green. Floyd allowed one run on three hits while fanning 11 in a 5-1 win.
“After what Ross did, it’s amazing that we lost that game.”
“You have to
give credit where credit is due. Over the last 10 days or so, Yorvit
has taken the bull by the horns. I am not being fair to the rest of the
guys in black shirts if I don’t recognize that. The way he’s playing he
gets to take the bulk of playing time right now.
Rockies manager Jim Tracy, as Yorvit Torrealba has officially replaced Chris Iannetta
as the club’s starting catcher. Since the All-Star break, Iannetta is
batting .208/.301/.427 while Torrealba has put up a .333/.390/.362 line.
“This is not how
I wanted to go out. I’m surprised they kept me throwing this long, I’m
grateful. Now is the start of my preparation for next year.”
- Mat Latos, who allowed four runs — two earned — over three innings in his final start of the year against the Dodgers on Saturday night.
The Padres elected to shut the 21-year-old rookie down after he tossed
a career-high 123 innings between his time with the big club (50 2/3
innings) and the minors (72 1/3 innings) this season. He finishes his
rookie campaign 4-5 with a 4.62 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in 10 starts.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)