Sep 6, 2009, 11:00 AM EDT
“He’s joked around before like, ‘You need to learn how to finish them.’
And I started laughing. “He didn’t say
anything. He just looked at me in the dugout, and I go, ‘Oh, Mr.
Perfect knows how to finish them.'”
– While he’s no Mark Buehrle, Gavin Floyd’s brush with perfection against the Red Sox on Saturday was broken up with a sixth-inning single by Nick Green. Floyd allowed one run on three hits while fanning 11 in a 5-1 win.
“After what Ross did, it’s amazing that we lost that game.”
“You have to
give credit where credit is due. Over the last 10 days or so, Yorvit
has taken the bull by the horns. I am not being fair to the rest of the
guys in black shirts if I don’t recognize that. The way he’s playing he
gets to take the bulk of playing time right now.
Rockies manager Jim Tracy, as Yorvit Torrealba has officially replaced Chris Iannetta
as the club’s starting catcher. Since the All-Star break, Iannetta is
batting .208/.301/.427 while Torrealba has put up a .333/.390/.362 line.
“This is not how
I wanted to go out. I’m surprised they kept me throwing this long, I’m
grateful. Now is the start of my preparation for next year.”
– Mat Latos, who allowed four runs — two earned — over three innings in his final start of the year against the Dodgers on Saturday night.
The Padres elected to shut the 21-year-old rookie down after he tossed
a career-high 123 innings between his time with the big club (50 2/3
innings) and the minors (72 1/3 innings) this season. He finishes his
rookie campaign 4-5 with a 4.62 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in 10 starts.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11