Sep 7, 2009, 11:30 AM EDT
Sunday’s extra-inning affair between
the Brewers and Giants was everything you could ask for in a September
baseball game. A little bit of history, the Brewers turned a
triple-play for the first time since 1999. The game had plenty of
drama, too, ultimately being decided on a 12th inning walk-off blast by
Prince Fielder. The loss knocked the Giants two games behind the
Rockies in the Wild Card race. So why am I writing about this on Monday?
Upon rounding the bases after his
game-winning homer, Fielder untucked his uniform, seemingly setting
things up to toss his helmet as he approached home plate, a popular and
accepted form of celebration in recent years. However, the Brewers went
against the grain, using a choreographed celebration where when Fielder touched the plate, he extended his arms to the sky and his teammates fell to the ground around
him. With even veterans like Craig Counsell taking part, it was a
ridiculous piece of theatre that won’t be forgotten by the Giants any time soon.
“Did you see that celebration?” bench coach Ron Wotus
asked. “You would like to think professionals would have a lot more
respect for the game and their opponents. That was choreographed.”
Yet, if you were to read the recaps
this morning, you’ll see the incident celebrated in pictures and
highlights. I’m no Yankees fan, but imagine if this was Alex Rodriguez?
The criticism would be overwhelming. Fielder is getting a pass today. No bones about it.
Surely the Brewers may have thought
twice about doing this if they were going to face the Giants again on
Monday, but don’t be surprised to see Fielder catch one in the back or
worse when he faces them next season.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)