Sep 7, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
* J.A. Happ has been scratched from his scheduled start today after straining a muscle in his side while taking batting practice Saturday, so Jamie Moyer will take his place against the Astros.
Moyer hasn’t started since being bumped from the rotation for Pedro Martinez in mid-August, and had a 5.47 ERA in 22 starts before the demotion.
* Zack Greinke will get a couple extra days to rest before his next start after throwing 125 pitches Saturday. Greinke got stuck with a no-decision despite allowing just an unearned run over eight innings, which is sadly nothing for new for him.
Seven times this season he’s failed to get a victory while allowing two runs or fewer. He’s been the best pitcher in the league, but the Royals are doing their best to make that tough to see for some people.
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Brandon Morrow will rejoin the Mariners’ rotation later this week after going 5-3 with a 3.60 ERA and 40/23 K/BB ratio in 10 starts at Triple-A following his mid-July demotion. Morrow has always had plenty of upside, but at 25 years old he needs to start showing that he can consistently throw strikes and work deep into games.
* Ryan Braun is out of the Brewers’ lineup this afternoon because of shoulder soreness.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (90)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (83)