Sep 7, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
* J.A. Happ has been scratched from his scheduled start today after straining a muscle in his side while taking batting practice Saturday, so Jamie Moyer will take his place against the Astros.
Moyer hasn’t started since being bumped from the rotation for Pedro Martinez in mid-August, and had a 5.47 ERA in 22 starts before the demotion.
* Zack Greinke will get a couple extra days to rest before his next start after throwing 125 pitches Saturday. Greinke got stuck with a no-decision despite allowing just an unearned run over eight innings, which is sadly nothing for new for him.
Seven times this season he’s failed to get a victory while allowing two runs or fewer. He’s been the best pitcher in the league, but the Royals are doing their best to make that tough to see for some people.
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Brandon Morrow will rejoin the Mariners’ rotation later this week after going 5-3 with a 3.60 ERA and 40/23 K/BB ratio in 10 starts at Triple-A following his mid-July demotion. Morrow has always had plenty of upside, but at 25 years old he needs to start showing that he can consistently throw strikes and work deep into games.
* Ryan Braun is out of the Brewers’ lineup this afternoon because of shoulder soreness.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)