Sep 7, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
* J.A. Happ has been scratched from his scheduled start today after straining a muscle in his side while taking batting practice Saturday, so Jamie Moyer will take his place against the Astros.
Moyer hasn’t started since being bumped from the rotation for Pedro Martinez in mid-August, and had a 5.47 ERA in 22 starts before the demotion.
* Zack Greinke will get a couple extra days to rest before his next start after throwing 125 pitches Saturday. Greinke got stuck with a no-decision despite allowing just an unearned run over eight innings, which is sadly nothing for new for him.
Seven times this season he’s failed to get a victory while allowing two runs or fewer. He’s been the best pitcher in the league, but the Royals are doing their best to make that tough to see for some people.
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Brandon Morrow will rejoin the Mariners’ rotation later this week after going 5-3 with a 3.60 ERA and 40/23 K/BB ratio in 10 starts at Triple-A following his mid-July demotion. Morrow has always had plenty of upside, but at 25 years old he needs to start showing that he can consistently throw strikes and work deep into games.
* Ryan Braun is out of the Brewers’ lineup this afternoon because of shoulder soreness.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)