Sep 7, 2009, 1:46 PM EDT
* J.A. Happ has been scratched from his scheduled start today after straining a muscle in his side while taking batting practice Saturday, so Jamie Moyer will take his place against the Astros.
Moyer hasn’t started since being bumped from the rotation for Pedro Martinez in mid-August, and had a 5.47 ERA in 22 starts before the demotion.
* Zack Greinke will get a couple extra days to rest before his next start after throwing 125 pitches Saturday. Greinke got stuck with a no-decision despite allowing just an unearned run over eight innings, which is sadly nothing for new for him.
Seven times this season he’s failed to get a victory while allowing two runs or fewer. He’s been the best pitcher in the league, but the Royals are doing their best to make that tough to see for some people.
* Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Brandon Morrow will rejoin the Mariners’ rotation later this week after going 5-3 with a 3.60 ERA and 40/23 K/BB ratio in 10 starts at Triple-A following his mid-July demotion. Morrow has always had plenty of upside, but at 25 years old he needs to start showing that he can consistently throw strikes and work deep into games.
* Ryan Braun is out of the Brewers’ lineup this afternoon because of shoulder soreness.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with apparent elbow injury 0
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 11
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)