Sep 7, 2009, 9:32 AM EDT
“It’s not something that you sit around and think about, you know what
I mean? I think that’s something that you think about
later on. While we’re playing, I don’t really get a chance to sit
around and collect someone’s place in history.”
- Derek Jeter is just three hits away from tying Lou Gehrig’s club record of 2,718 hits. He could tie or break the record during Monday’s doubleheader against the Rays.
“When I was spitting blood, I thought I probably broke my nose. After a
while, when I looked in the mirror, I thought, ‘Ah, my face is swollen.
I’m fine now.’ Nothing growing up in New York City that I haven’t
- Randy Ruiz shakes off getting hit in the face during Sunday’s game against the Yankees.
“Locked in? Are you kidding? He’s in a very
special place right now. If I was him, I would be
writing down how he feels right now, so he knows exactly what he’s
thinking. It’s that special of a place.”
- Todd Helton recommends that Seth Smith invests in a Moleskin to commemorate his two homers against the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
“It makes sense after discussing it with them. It’s
kind of hard to go from 20 innings to 175. It’s just one of those
things. I don’t want to get shut down. I want to finish off the year.
We’re just trying to find ways to make that happen.”
- Currently at a career-high 175 2/3 innings, Brewers ace Yovani Gallardo will have his next start skipped.
After tossing just 24 innings in 2008 due to two knee injuries,
Gallardo is 12-11 with a 3.59 ERA this season. The 23-year-old
right-hander is third in the league with 192 strikeouts.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)