Sep 7, 2009, 9:32 AM EDT
“It’s not something that you sit around and think about, you know what
I mean? I think that’s something that you think about
later on. While we’re playing, I don’t really get a chance to sit
around and collect someone’s place in history.”
– Derek Jeter is just three hits away from tying Lou Gehrig’s club record of 2,718 hits. He could tie or break the record during Monday’s doubleheader against the Rays.
“When I was spitting blood, I thought I probably broke my nose. After a
while, when I looked in the mirror, I thought, ‘Ah, my face is swollen.
I’m fine now.’ Nothing growing up in New York City that I haven’t
– Randy Ruiz shakes off getting hit in the face during Sunday’s game against the Yankees.
“Locked in? Are you kidding? He’s in a very
special place right now. If I was him, I would be
writing down how he feels right now, so he knows exactly what he’s
thinking. It’s that special of a place.”
– Todd Helton recommends that Seth Smith invests in a Moleskin to commemorate his two homers against the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
“It makes sense after discussing it with them. It’s
kind of hard to go from 20 innings to 175. It’s just one of those
things. I don’t want to get shut down. I want to finish off the year.
We’re just trying to find ways to make that happen.”
– Currently at a career-high 175 2/3 innings, Brewers ace Yovani Gallardo will have his next start skipped.
After tossing just 24 innings in 2008 due to two knee injuries,
Gallardo is 12-11 with a 3.59 ERA this season. The 23-year-old
right-hander is third in the league with 192 strikeouts.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)