Sep 7, 2009, 9:32 AM EST
“It’s not something that you sit around and think about, you know what
I mean? I think that’s something that you think about
later on. While we’re playing, I don’t really get a chance to sit
around and collect someone’s place in history.”
- Derek Jeter is just three hits away from tying Lou Gehrig’s club record of 2,718 hits. He could tie or break the record during Monday’s doubleheader against the Rays.
“When I was spitting blood, I thought I probably broke my nose. After a
while, when I looked in the mirror, I thought, ‘Ah, my face is swollen.
I’m fine now.’ Nothing growing up in New York City that I haven’t
- Randy Ruiz shakes off getting hit in the face during Sunday’s game against the Yankees.
“Locked in? Are you kidding? He’s in a very
special place right now. If I was him, I would be
writing down how he feels right now, so he knows exactly what he’s
thinking. It’s that special of a place.”
- Todd Helton recommends that Seth Smith invests in a Moleskin to commemorate his two homers against the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
“It makes sense after discussing it with them. It’s
kind of hard to go from 20 innings to 175. It’s just one of those
things. I don’t want to get shut down. I want to finish off the year.
We’re just trying to find ways to make that happen.”
- Currently at a career-high 175 2/3 innings, Brewers ace Yovani Gallardo will have his next start skipped.
After tossing just 24 innings in 2008 due to two knee injuries,
Gallardo is 12-11 with a 3.59 ERA this season. The 23-year-old
right-hander is third in the league with 192 strikeouts.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)