Sep 7, 2009, 8:03 PM EDT
You’ve heard the names thrown out there regarding the NL Cy Young race.
Tim Lincecum, the reigning Cy winner and MLB strikeout leader who has a flair for hair. Adam Wainwright, who leads all of baseball with 17 wins. Heck, even Phillies rookie J.A. Happ has received some buzz.
But look out everyone, here comes Chris Carpenter.
The Cardinals veteran tossed a one-hitter on Monday, baffling the Milwaukee Brewers with a non-stop string of strikes. He struck out 10, allowed just a double to Jody Gerut, and threw just 99 pitches, 64 of them for strikes. Just two balls made it out of the infield.
“I’m trying to get strike one, strike two and strike three as fast as I can, or get you to put the ball in play and let my guys work behind you,” he said.
That’s 11 straight victories for Carpenter (16-3), who also won the NL Cy Young in 2005.
“It’s the least of my concerns,” said Carpenter, who won it in 2005 with a 21-5 record. “I’ve won one before. It’s super awesome and fun and nice, but I’d much rather get to the playoffs and pitch in the World Series.”
He just might be on his way.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)