Sep 8, 2009, 1:37 PM EDT
Out since mid-June with a knee injury, Carlos Beltran is expected to rejoin the Mets tonight.
New York has gone 27-42 since Beltran landed on the disabled list, which makes his opting against simply sitting out the final four weeks of a lost season pretty admirable.
Here’s what Beltran had to say about his decision:
I don’t want to sit back. I’m a ballplayer. When you’re a ballplayer, your job is being able to rehab yourself and if that’s the last game of the season, then play the last game of the season. That’s what we’re here for, that’s what we get paid for.
Beltran was having an MVP-caliber season prior to going on the shelf, doing his usual solid work defensively while hitting .336/.425/.527 with 29 extra-base hits, 11 steals, 40 RBIs, and 40 runs in 60 games despite playing through the knee injury for half that time. I’ve long felt that Beltran was among the more underappreciated stars in baseball and his trying to finish this year on something resembling a high note makes me an even bigger fan.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 4
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 4
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 23
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (96)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)