Sep 8, 2009, 9:56 AM EDT
They’re 61-76 and sit 20.5 games out of first place, but if you listen to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Oakland Athletics have a bright future:
“It’s one of the best collections of talent in baseball right now. They made some mistakes in deceiving themselves (that) they had a chance to do something this year rather than just fully committing to the rebuild, but all signs point to up.”
The reason for the optimism: A good draft, some key international signings, and most importantly, the 24 players they’ve received for Dan Haren, Rich Harden, Chad Gaudin, Joe Blanton, Nick Swisher, Mark Kotsay, Marco Scutaro, Matt Holliday and Orlando Cabrera.
Fans’ mileage tends to vary with this sort of thing. There are certainly a lot of people — myself included — who get excited about a promising-looking bunch of prospects. Who is going to make it? Who is going to bust? Who is going to get flipped for the guy who, in hindsight, constituted the final piece of the playoff puzzle? That sort of thing can keep a fan warm all winter, dreaming all spring, and exciting all the following summer.
But A’s fans have been through this before. There was a parade of great talent in the early part of this decade, and so much of it eventually went away. To be sure, what was left played some very impressive baseball for a while, but they ultimately fell short, and for some fans close isn’t good enough.
Between that and the fact that ownership has mentally abandoned Oakland, it’s completely understandable if folks fail to buy what Goldstein is selling.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)