Sep 8, 2009, 9:56 AM EDT
They’re 61-76 and sit 20.5 games out of first place, but if you listen to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, the Oakland Athletics have a bright future:
“It’s one of the best collections of talent in baseball right now. They made some mistakes in deceiving themselves (that) they had a chance to do something this year rather than just fully committing to the rebuild, but all signs point to up.”
The reason for the optimism: A good draft, some key international signings, and most importantly, the 24 players they’ve received for Dan Haren, Rich Harden, Chad Gaudin, Joe Blanton, Nick Swisher, Mark Kotsay, Marco Scutaro, Matt Holliday and Orlando Cabrera.
Fans’ mileage tends to vary with this sort of thing. There are certainly a lot of people — myself included — who get excited about a promising-looking bunch of prospects. Who is going to make it? Who is going to bust? Who is going to get flipped for the guy who, in hindsight, constituted the final piece of the playoff puzzle? That sort of thing can keep a fan warm all winter, dreaming all spring, and exciting all the following summer.
But A’s fans have been through this before. There was a parade of great talent in the early part of this decade, and so much of it eventually went away. To be sure, what was left played some very impressive baseball for a while, but they ultimately fell short, and for some fans close isn’t good enough.
Between that and the fact that ownership has mentally abandoned Oakland, it’s completely understandable if folks fail to buy what Goldstein is selling.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)