Sep 8, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
This afternoon MLB slapped Tigers closer Fernando Rodney with a three-game suspension for throwing a ball into the Tropicana Field press box after the final out of Friday’s game.
Rodney is naturally appealing the suspension, but it likely would have made sense for him to just sit out the three-game series against the Royals that begins tonight.
Detroit can probably take at least two out of three games from Kansas City without him and then Rodney would definitely be available for the three-game series against second-place Minnesota this weekend.
Brandon Lyon will likely get the nod in the ninth inning if needed, but part of the Tigers’ success stems from going with Rodney rather than Lyon at closer. Lyon has emerged a strong setup man after some rough early outings and Rodney is 32-of-33 converting saves with a 3.41 ERA in 61 innings.
Among the 28 pitchers with at least 15 saves this year only Rodney, Huston Street, and Mariano Rivera have avoided multiple blown saves.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (89)