Sep 9, 2009, 4:52 PM EST
Sparked by some nice work from MLB Trade Rumors and MVN’s Lisa Gray, the Astros have revealed that an error was made in recent media guides, giving Jose Valverde a birthdate of June 24, 1979, rather than his actual DOB of March 24, 1978.
This obviously wasn’t just an Astros mistake, as Valverde has been listed as a 1979 birth by many publications dating back to his days as a prospect in the Arizona system. Others have had the correct date. I believe Rotoworld has always gone by the correct date, though I’m struggling to come up with any old examples of us stating Valverde’s age. I did have him listed at age 32, as of Opening Day, 2010, in our free agency preview back in May.
Even if some teams did think he was 15 months younger than he is, it really shouldn’t be much of an issue when he becomes a free agent this winter. Age is far more of an issue when it comes to hitters. Assuming that he finishes the season healthy, Valverde figures to be regarded as the top closer available over alternatives like Rafael Soriano, Fernando Rodney, Billy Wagner and Mike Gonzalez.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)