Sep 9, 2009, 3:35 PM EDT
Citi Field has been plagued by water damage to several luxury suites–including Jerry Seinfeld’s–as well as mold, falling signs and concrete, flooding in outfield seats, faulty electrical wiring and shoddy tile work, sources said.
Perhaps the biggest bungle is a water leak that sprang in early August, the source said, creating mold in Seinfeld’s lavish suite and three others nearby. The posh boxes rent for $250,000 to $500,000 a year. The problem was so bad that repairmen were forced to tear down walls in the suites on Aug. 9 to search for the source of the leak while the Mets were on a seven-game road trip, a source said.
Some of the other highlights include a non-working elevator, pieces of concrete breaking off, pipes collapsing, signs falling, broken air-conditioning and heating, faulty electrical outlets, and … well, just read the whole article.
Naturally, when asked about the various issues Mets executive vice president of business operations Dave Howard replied: “Any suggestion that Citi Field is less than an elite, world-class entertainment facility is flat-out inaccurate and unfounded.”
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)