Sep 9, 2009, 11:59 AM EST
* Last night David Ortiz tied Frank Thomas for the most homers ever at designated hitter with 269. The big difference between Big Papi and Big Hurt is that Thomas had 252 non-DH homers while Ortiz has just 43.
* San Diego is sending out DVDs to NL managers in an effort to boost Kevin Kouzmanoff’s chances of winning an undeserved Gold Glove, which is something I preemptively railed against last month. There’s a lot more to defense than errors.
* Raul Ibanez homering twice yesterday made the Phillies just the 12th team in baseball history with at least four 30-homer hitters. Interestingly, just one of those dozen teams came before 1995 and four of them called Coors Field home.
* Remember last week, when I wondered why Matt Murton hasn’t been able to stick in the majors? I’m still wondering, but after another strong season in the minors he’s at least back in the big leagues as a bench player in Colorado.
* In a move that was first reported several months ago, the Red Sox have finalized an $8.2 million contract with 19-year-old Cuban shortstop Jose Iglesias. As part of the deal he’s been added to the 40-man roster and will play in the Arizona Fall League next month. Baseball Prospectus called him “Ryan Theriot with better hands” while Baseball America described Iglesias as an “Orlando Cabrera clone.”
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 14
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 67
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 35
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)