Sep 9, 2009, 3:04 PM EDT
* After delivering a ninth-inning homer last night that proved to be the game-winner for the Cardinals, Matt Holliday is now batting .381/.437/.706 with 12 homers and 41 RBIs in 42 games since being dealt to St. Louis.
He hit .286/.378/.454 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs in 93 games for Oakland, so the impending free agent has probably made himself an extra $20 million during the past two months. And the Cardinals now have the best record in the NL.
* Tim Lincecum, on whether his back injury will cause him to miss a second start: “I feel fine. The steps I’ve taken in the last 48 or 60 hours, my back has gotten a lot better. I don’t see why I can’t make it out there in a few days.”
* As expected, Grady Sizemore underwent elbow surgery this morning. He’ll go under the knife again “to address his unstable left abdominal wall” next week. So yeah, he’s having an awesome month.
* After initially planning to retire after the season Mike Sweeney now hopes to play in 2010, assuming of course that there’s a team out there in need of an oft-injured platoon designated hitter with a .776 OPS.
* Jeremy Greenhouse of Baseball Analysts put together an intriguing look at which pitchers have the best “stuff” based on velocity and movement.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 41
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 58
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 79
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)