Sep 9, 2009, 3:04 PM EDT
* After delivering a ninth-inning homer last night that proved to be the game-winner for the Cardinals, Matt Holliday is now batting .381/.437/.706 with 12 homers and 41 RBIs in 42 games since being dealt to St. Louis.
He hit .286/.378/.454 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs in 93 games for Oakland, so the impending free agent has probably made himself an extra $20 million during the past two months. And the Cardinals now have the best record in the NL.
* Tim Lincecum, on whether his back injury will cause him to miss a second start: “I feel fine. The steps I’ve taken in the last 48 or 60 hours, my back has gotten a lot better. I don’t see why I can’t make it out there in a few days.”
* As expected, Grady Sizemore underwent elbow surgery this morning. He’ll go under the knife again “to address his unstable left abdominal wall” next week. So yeah, he’s having an awesome month.
* After initially planning to retire after the season Mike Sweeney now hopes to play in 2010, assuming of course that there’s a team out there in need of an oft-injured platoon designated hitter with a .776 OPS.
* Jeremy Greenhouse of Baseball Analysts put together an intriguing look at which pitchers have the best “stuff” based on velocity and movement.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 6
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)