Sep 9, 2009, 3:04 PM EST
* After delivering a ninth-inning homer last night that proved to be the game-winner for the Cardinals, Matt Holliday is now batting .381/.437/.706 with 12 homers and 41 RBIs in 42 games since being dealt to St. Louis.
He hit .286/.378/.454 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs in 93 games for Oakland, so the impending free agent has probably made himself an extra $20 million during the past two months. And the Cardinals now have the best record in the NL.
* Tim Lincecum, on whether his back injury will cause him to miss a second start: “I feel fine. The steps I’ve taken in the last 48 or 60 hours, my back has gotten a lot better. I don’t see why I can’t make it out there in a few days.”
* As expected, Grady Sizemore underwent elbow surgery this morning. He’ll go under the knife again “to address his unstable left abdominal wall” next week. So yeah, he’s having an awesome month.
* After initially planning to retire after the season Mike Sweeney now hopes to play in 2010, assuming of course that there’s a team out there in need of an oft-injured platoon designated hitter with a .776 OPS.
* Jeremy Greenhouse of Baseball Analysts put together an intriguing look at which pitchers have the best “stuff” based on velocity and movement.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)