Sep 9, 2009, 3:04 PM EDT
* After delivering a ninth-inning homer last night that proved to be the game-winner for the Cardinals, Matt Holliday is now batting .381/.437/.706 with 12 homers and 41 RBIs in 42 games since being dealt to St. Louis.
He hit .286/.378/.454 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs in 93 games for Oakland, so the impending free agent has probably made himself an extra $20 million during the past two months. And the Cardinals now have the best record in the NL.
* Tim Lincecum, on whether his back injury will cause him to miss a second start: “I feel fine. The steps I’ve taken in the last 48 or 60 hours, my back has gotten a lot better. I don’t see why I can’t make it out there in a few days.”
* As expected, Grady Sizemore underwent elbow surgery this morning. He’ll go under the knife again “to address his unstable left abdominal wall” next week. So yeah, he’s having an awesome month.
* After initially planning to retire after the season Mike Sweeney now hopes to play in 2010, assuming of course that there’s a team out there in need of an oft-injured platoon designated hitter with a .776 OPS.
* Jeremy Greenhouse of Baseball Analysts put together an intriguing look at which pitchers have the best “stuff” based on velocity and movement.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)