Sep 9, 2009, 10:40 AM EST
He used to matter. Or at least he seemed like he did. He certainly was front and center in the media. Now? He’s the invisible man.
Which is a great thing for the Yankees — it’s always easier to run an organization when the drama level is low — but it’s a terrible thing for reporters and bloggers and stuff. I mean, who can forget some of Hank’s greatest hits:
Look, the point isn’t that he was well-advised to spout off on all of these topics. Indeed, if he were my employee — and he appears to be Hal’s — I would have canned him sometime in late 2007. The point is that an unleashed Hank Steinbrenner made baseball a lot of fun for a while. Now that he’s apprently been given a gag order, however, the Yankees are back to being corporate and steady and boring. As it was in the 50s and as it was after Big Stein’s apparent lobotomy in the mid-to-late 90s, the Yankees are once again U.S. Steel.
For my part, I was always partial to the Bronx Zoo. The parade of managers. The feeling that anything can happen with the New York Yankees. Now? The best we get are rumors that one boring celebrity might marry another.
Come back, Hank. We need you.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)