Sep 9, 2009, 8:55 AM EST
And in light of the fact the GM Doug Melvin actually says that he regretted not trading for Jarrod Washburn at the deadline, they might sign or trade anyone to get more pitching.
“We might take a little more chances and risks than we’re accustomed to taking.” Melvin said. What might you offer for an arm, Doug?
“It would be very difficult to move a guy like Prince,” Melvin said.
“There will be a lot of talk. Teams that have top pitching, that’s hard
to give up. I’ve got one of the best hitters in the game and that’s
hard to give up.”
I don’t take that as a vow to trade Prince Fielder or anything, but you’d think that even a GM willing to take risks would say something like “everyone but Braun and Fielder” are fair game, not that it “would be very difficult” to trade him. It’s difficult to trade anyone.
I’m bored, so let’s speculate: Prince Fielder to the Giants this winter for a couple of their young arms. Who’s with me?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)