Sep 9, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
And in light of the fact the GM Doug Melvin actually says that he regretted not trading for Jarrod Washburn at the deadline, they might sign or trade anyone to get more pitching.
“We might take a little more chances and risks than we’re accustomed to taking.” Melvin said. What might you offer for an arm, Doug?
“It would be very difficult to move a guy like Prince,” Melvin said.
“There will be a lot of talk. Teams that have top pitching, that’s hard
to give up. I’ve got one of the best hitters in the game and that’s
hard to give up.”
I don’t take that as a vow to trade Prince Fielder or anything, but you’d think that even a GM willing to take risks would say something like “everyone but Braun and Fielder” are fair game, not that it “would be very difficult” to trade him. It’s difficult to trade anyone.
I’m bored, so let’s speculate: Prince Fielder to the Giants this winter for a couple of their young arms. Who’s with me?
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 64
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)