Sep 9, 2009, 8:55 AM EDT
And in light of the fact the GM Doug Melvin actually says that he regretted not trading for Jarrod Washburn at the deadline, they might sign or trade anyone to get more pitching.
“We might take a little more chances and risks than we’re accustomed to taking.” Melvin said. What might you offer for an arm, Doug?
“It would be very difficult to move a guy like Prince,” Melvin said.
“There will be a lot of talk. Teams that have top pitching, that’s hard
to give up. I’ve got one of the best hitters in the game and that’s
hard to give up.”
I don’t take that as a vow to trade Prince Fielder or anything, but you’d think that even a GM willing to take risks would say something like “everyone but Braun and Fielder” are fair game, not that it “would be very difficult” to trade him. It’s difficult to trade anyone.
I’m bored, so let’s speculate: Prince Fielder to the Giants this winter for a couple of their young arms. Who’s with me?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)