Sep 9, 2009, 10:56 AM EST
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that the Cardinals have “significant interest” in retaining Mark De Rosa and that they’ll likely have something done with him before talks with Matt Holliday get going.
I know he’s versatile and everything, but DeRosa has a torn tendon sheath in his wrist that is going to need surgery, and that can be a major injury for a baseball player. It basically ended Ken Caminiti’s career. Well, the crack and the ‘roids and all of that had something to do with it, but the tendon sheath thing didn’t help. David Ortiz had it too, and while he’s had his moments lately, many people think that it has contributed to his erratic performance since last year.
However that plays out, I can’t see how Mark DeRosa — who is essentially a utlity guy — can be a priority for a team with a limited resources, one key free agent to be in Holliday and one once-in-a-lifetime player who creeps closer to free agency every day. At least not in September. He’s a guy you do a quick deal with in December.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120