Sep 9, 2009, 10:56 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that the Cardinals have “significant interest” in retaining Mark De Rosa and that they’ll likely have something done with him before talks with Matt Holliday get going.
I know he’s versatile and everything, but DeRosa has a torn tendon sheath in his wrist that is going to need surgery, and that can be a major injury for a baseball player. It basically ended Ken Caminiti’s career. Well, the crack and the ‘roids and all of that had something to do with it, but the tendon sheath thing didn’t help. David Ortiz had it too, and while he’s had his moments lately, many people think that it has contributed to his erratic performance since last year.
However that plays out, I can’t see how Mark DeRosa — who is essentially a utlity guy — can be a priority for a team with a limited resources, one key free agent to be in Holliday and one once-in-a-lifetime player who creeps closer to free agency every day. At least not in September. He’s a guy you do a quick deal with in December.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)