Sep 9, 2009, 10:56 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that the Cardinals have “significant interest” in retaining Mark De Rosa and that they’ll likely have something done with him before talks with Matt Holliday get going.
I know he’s versatile and everything, but DeRosa has a torn tendon sheath in his wrist that is going to need surgery, and that can be a major injury for a baseball player. It basically ended Ken Caminiti’s career. Well, the crack and the ‘roids and all of that had something to do with it, but the tendon sheath thing didn’t help. David Ortiz had it too, and while he’s had his moments lately, many people think that it has contributed to his erratic performance since last year.
However that plays out, I can’t see how Mark DeRosa — who is essentially a utlity guy — can be a priority for a team with a limited resources, one key free agent to be in Holliday and one once-in-a-lifetime player who creeps closer to free agency every day. At least not in September. He’s a guy you do a quick deal with in December.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)