Sep 9, 2009, 10:56 AM EDT
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that the Cardinals have “significant interest” in retaining Mark De Rosa and that they’ll likely have something done with him before talks with Matt Holliday get going.
I know he’s versatile and everything, but DeRosa has a torn tendon sheath in his wrist that is going to need surgery, and that can be a major injury for a baseball player. It basically ended Ken Caminiti’s career. Well, the crack and the ‘roids and all of that had something to do with it, but the tendon sheath thing didn’t help. David Ortiz had it too, and while he’s had his moments lately, many people think that it has contributed to his erratic performance since last year.
However that plays out, I can’t see how Mark DeRosa — who is essentially a utlity guy — can be a priority for a team with a limited resources, one key free agent to be in Holliday and one once-in-a-lifetime player who creeps closer to free agency every day. At least not in September. He’s a guy you do a quick deal with in December.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)