Sep 9, 2009, 9:22 AM EST
NESN runs them down here.
In all honesty, there are only five things on that list that form a legitimate basis for believing in the Sox’ chances this postseason: Alex Gonzalez’s defense; Clay Buchholz stepping it up; three fireballers in the pen (Papelbon, Wagner and Bard); David Ortiz turning it around; and the versatile and effective presence of Victor Martinez.
The other five reasons are wishful thinking at best, total B.S. at worst: the absence of Smoltz and Penny (why not cite the absence of Bill Buckner while you’re at it?); the idea that they should “win one for Wake” (what, 2004 and 2007 weren’t enough?); the “magic” of Fenway Park in the fall (didn’t Sox fans used to make fun of Yankees fans for talking about that kind of crap?); Joey Gathright’s similarity to Dave Roberts (whatever that means — every team has a guy who can pinch run); and the early season successes against the Yankees (more recent data is better data, folks).
I suppose anything can happen in a short series — the 2006 Cardinals didn’t look too hot in September of that year — but when you have to dig into this kind of baloney to find a basis for hope, your chances aren’t exactly stellar.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)