Sep 10, 2009, 9:22 AM EDT
The Red Sox are still in a fight with the Rangers for the final playoff spot, so they can’t refuse help from any quarter. Could Daisuke Matsuzaka provide any?
Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched 6 2/3 successful innings Wednesday night
against White Sox minor leaguers in the Single-A playoffs, and his next
outing will likely be come in a major league uniform.
Pitching with the Red Sox’ Single-A Salem affiliate, Matsuzaka blew
away the young hitters of Single-A Winston-Salem, gallowing only three
hits, one walk, and one run, while notching seven strikeouts.
I know the minors only live to supply the majors with players, but it does seem rather unsporting of everyone involved to send out a guy like Dice-K in a freaking playoff game. It’s like Adam Sandler playing dodgeball against those kids in one of those movies he made back before he became intolerable. Most of the guys on the Winston-Salem team will never sniff upper level ball, so you should at least give them a chance to win something on their own merits, shouldn’t you? Ah, screw it. I guess I’m just being sentimental.
Anyway, with Wakefield’s back still acting up, the Sox will need a starter next week. From the looks of things, Dice-K will be their huckleberry.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)