Sep 10, 2009, 9:22 AM EST
The Red Sox are still in a fight with the Rangers for the final playoff spot, so they can’t refuse help from any quarter. Could Daisuke Matsuzaka provide any?
Daisuke Matsuzaka pitched 6 2/3 successful innings Wednesday night
against White Sox minor leaguers in the Single-A playoffs, and his next
outing will likely be come in a major league uniform.
Pitching with the Red Sox’ Single-A Salem affiliate, Matsuzaka blew
away the young hitters of Single-A Winston-Salem, gallowing only three
hits, one walk, and one run, while notching seven strikeouts.
I know the minors only live to supply the majors with players, but it does seem rather unsporting of everyone involved to send out a guy like Dice-K in a freaking playoff game. It’s like Adam Sandler playing dodgeball against those kids in one of those movies he made back before he became intolerable. Most of the guys on the Winston-Salem team will never sniff upper level ball, so you should at least give them a chance to win something on their own merits, shouldn’t you? Ah, screw it. I guess I’m just being sentimental.
Anyway, with Wakefield’s back still acting up, the Sox will need a starter next week. From the looks of things, Dice-K will be their huckleberry.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)