Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it. There’s the main news story. The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.” The regular game story that goes on and on about it. Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.
And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.
I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do. But let’s have some perspective here, people. There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader. Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees. Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list? Garret Anderson with the Angels.
It’s a nice record. In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name. But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage. Enough already.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 47
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 58
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)