Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT
I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it. There’s the main news story. The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.” The regular game story that goes on and on about it. Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.
And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.
I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do. But let’s have some perspective here, people. There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader. Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees. Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list? Garret Anderson with the Angels.
It’s a nice record. In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name. But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage. Enough already.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)