Enough with the Derek Jeter coverage already

Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT

I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it.  There’s the main news story.  The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.”  The regular game story that goes on and on about it.  Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.

And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.

I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do.  But let’s have some perspective here, people.  There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader.  Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees.  Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list?  Garret Anderson with the Angels.

It’s a nice record.  In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name.  But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage.  Enough already.

1. Mo Green - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Derek Jeter is on his way to being the greatest Yankee of all time. The team is peaking at the right time, and the lack of drama in the AL East has left a vacuum. Nature and the press abhor a vacuum, and the press adore a story that writes itself.
    Garret Anderson shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence with Derek Jeter. Plus, any excuse to fawn about their beloved is good enough for the NY papers, and this is actually a good excuse.

2. Leon - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Bitter much? Must suck to be a beat writer for a random blog, hey try harder and maybe you’ll get some news coverage yourself, say something like “Oh… I heard a rumor that the Red Sox are trading for Manny Ramirez, unnamed but VERY reliable source!” Yea now thats news you want to read.

3. LG - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:32 AM

In an era of narcissistic entertainers and athletes, the Captain has done it with class and humility (and steroid free!). He didn’t even want to tip his helmet to the crowd last night out of fear that he may disrespect the visiting team. And yes, passing the likes of Gehrig, Ruth and Mantle is a much bigger deal than passing Garret Anderson.

4. Ben - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:33 AM

What I don’t get is why are you criticizing the NY Daily News’ coverage of a team playing in their own city? Yea, the Yankees soon-to-be hit leader might not end up with the most hits in all of baseball. But hits, while the statistic that is highlighted here, have less to do with the stature of Jeter and Gehrig. That’s the focus. I think that is what all the commotion is about. And again, it is the overall coverage, national and local, that is at fault here. You idiots in the media do this every freaking time a player approaches a “huge” statistic. It’s not the players fault, as it always is made out to be, that the media chooses to cover something that the player does when it is part of the game. Jeter didn’t go 0-12 to get in the limelight, he did it because he was in a slump. If you can’t handle that then I don’t know why you are covering baseball. It’s part of the game.

5. Pato - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:38 AM

So let me get this straight, a NY newspaper has too many stories about a NY team? What are they supposed to write about, the Mets? This is one of the last records set by the golden age of the Yankees to be broken, of course it’s going to get alot of coverage. Plus, did you ever think that the fans WANT to read about it?

6. Kim - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I hate the Yankees, but I totally respect the history of the Yankees as they pretty much represent the history of baseball, which I love. The Angels should not even be mentioned when compared to the history of the Yankees. It’s a BIG deal because the Yankees have been around since the BEGINNING of baseball…and Lou Gehrig is a LEGEND. It’s awesome because most of today’s fans didn’t get to see Lou Gehrig play, but we get to watch Jeter! How can anyone who loves baseball NOT appreciate this momentous occasion? I would hope any hometown player breaking a record like this is covered from the front cover to the back cover of the newspaper. It certainly beats all of the bad news. Congratulations Jeter!! and I surely hope I get to watch him break the record tomorrow night!

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Quoting for hilarity’s sake. You honestly have no idea what Craig does in real life. Here’s a hint, he’s not a beat writer.

8. XTrust_No1X - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:52 AM

Craig Calcaterra, you are pathetic! I guess your Mutts didn’t start their new ballpark off they way that all you Mutts fans predicted and boasted about, so now you have to berate the Greatest MLB player in Modern Era. Your words ozze with jealouscy, and make me sick. Anybody, even a Housewife that doesn’t know one thing about Baseball, can see right through you. Now, go back, and make believe the words you write, actually have meanning, and that your some big sports writer, cause in reality, you couldn’t write a column in my kids middle school newspaper. Yep, I hate to break the news to you Craig, but, your a pathetic loser, just like your Mutts. And, while you & your Mutts are playing golf, one of the three Greatest MLB players in New York baseball history will be playing with the Greatest Franchise in Sports History, on their way to yet another Playoff appearance, and they’re 27th World Series Championship. And, after this season is all over, you can look forward to watching all the coverage Derek Jeter will get by winning this season’s MVP. Yep, your not too jealous…hahahaha

9. geek - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Media overhype, hardly.
    If you are a true baseball fan you have to savior what is a remarkable achievement and for Yankee fans a record not likely to be broken in the next 30 years, if ever.
    When his career is over, hopefully not anytime soon, he will compile numbers that will not only assure him a first ballot in the hall of fame but those that will be lauded by those who are true fans of the game and sport.
    The other current Yankee that fans should step back and admire is that of Mo, who has for over his distinguished career has compiled a ERA that is truly remarkable. Media hype hardly. It does give me a great degree of satisfaction to see the media who took glee in noting that the highest paid payroll in baseball failed to deliver for the past several years.
    This year it has all come together and Jeter’s play deserves all the attention he deserves and we are lucky to be in a media market that provides us the coverage and gives it more attention than a fire in the city or a new Walmart opening..

10. Barry - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:57 AM

It’s the Yankees, not some damned national league team. or expansion team. It’s the Yankees, the only team.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I think the funniest thing that happens around here is that, whenever I write something that pisses off the fans of a given team, those fans assume that I am a fan of their rival. If I say something perceived as negative about the Yankees, I’m accused of being a Mets or Red Sox fan. If I say anything about the Sox or Mets, I must be a Yankee lover. It’s almost pathological.
    As for this story, I don’t begrudge the Daily News for covering this story or the Yankees in general. It’s their beat. But I defy anyone to find an example of a local newspaper running seven stories about a single event — let alone an event involving only a team record — at one time.

12. tim-h-66 - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

It’s a bit unreal that for all of the championships the Yankees have won that they do not yet have a player who has had 3000 hits for them or won 300 games for them.

13. Joanne - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Amen Mo. We need more Derek Jeter’s in the game. Get a real job Craig – your just a miserable hater.

14. Different Ben - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:04 AM

“Derek Jeter is on his way to being the greatest Yankee of all time.”
    What’s great about this bit of nonsense is that it perfectly encapsulates Craig’s very point – that while the milestone is significant, it simply isn’t as big a deal as it’s been made out to be.
    Come on. This is a counting stat, and wasn’t Gehrig’s career cut short by some injury or something? Gehrig, Ruth, and DiMaggio (and possibly the Mick) were all greater than Jeter. That’s no dig on Jeter. I would think that anyone would be happy to bested by those four.

15. M. Simmons - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:07 AM

And you do realize that Gehrig would’ve had more hits, well over 3000, if he didn’t…..ummmm….you know…..die!!!!! You are very bitter man, you need to lighten up. Also, I laughed out loud when you compared Anderson to Jeter, Anderson isn’t worthy to carry Jeter’s jock. And to have over 3000 hits with one team is a hard stat to get due to free agency and such, most teams have usually one guy and he’s a real real old timer.

16. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM

You’re missing the point, M. Simmons. The point being that the number of hits a guy has for one team is a pretty lame indicator of how good he is, and thus the number of hits a guy has for one team is not as newsworthy as the friggin’ moon landing.
    You’re right, Garret Anderson is nowhere near as good as Derek Jeter. But there he is, just a couple hundred hits behind Jeter in the hits-for-one-team category. Craig Biggio isn’t as good as Jeter either, and he has a few hundred more hits for one team than does The Captain. That suggests to me that such a stat doesn’t say as much as everyone seems to think it does.
    Jeter is a great player who should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. There are, however, a half dozen things that make him great before getting to this record.

17. Bill@TDS - Sep 10, 2009 at 10:50 AM

The list of things Derek Jeter would still have to do to become the greatest Yankee of all time is probably a good deal longer than the impressive list of things he’s already done. Garret Anderson doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Derek Jeter, no (unless, you know, that sentence is about single-franchise hit leaders), but Jeter doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Ruth or Mantle. This type of “greatest Yankee of all time” nonsense is exactly what creates this whole backlash.

18. Neal - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I agree. This article, once again, is written with biase. The BIG deal here is Jeter will be the all time hits leader for the most storied franchise in sports history….not the Angels.

19. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Like others have mentioned, you should have an idea about the background and personality of those you are throwing barbs at before doing so.
    Things Craig isn’t:
    1) A beat writer
    2) A Sox fan
    3) A Mets fan
    4) A hater
    5) An idiot
    6) Unemployed (he’s a shingle carrying attorney)
    What Craig might lack *in this instance* is the benefit of perspective, particularly that of a life-long Yanks fan. That’s not a crime, it’s just a fact.
    I’ll post this since I actually link to Craig’s ATH up top in the posting, and it’s a sharing of my perspective on Jeter, as a Yanks fan: http://www.itsaboutthemoney.net/2009-articles/september/perspective-on-jeter.html
    If you replace “Jeter” with “Greg Maddux”, I suspect Craig wouldn’t be so critical of the local coverage. We fawn over our own heroes and we roll our eyes at others doing the same. Human nature, I guess.

20. neil in FL - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I’m a huge Yankees fan and couldn’t get enough stories about Jeter, until I read this one. Mom always said if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. In my opinion, the only reason the writer is getting this many readers today, is he’s stolen Jeter’s name and the very dispute he’s writing about to ride a wave of emotion and popularity. This makes him a hypocrite in my book.

21. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Fair enough, Neil. Allow me to note, however, that in citing your “Mom always said . . .” rule, and then going on to call me a theif of Jeter’s name and a hypocrite, you’re breaking your “Mom always said . . .” rule and are, dare I say it, being a hypocrite.

22. neil in FL - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:22 AM

True enough Craig, but I have nothing to gain. Touch a nerve? you didn’t spell check.

23. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Hardly. You’ll note that you’re not the first nor the most vehement critic I’ve had this morning.
    You should also know that this thread is not exactly a high water mark in terms of heat or number of comments we’ve had around here. If I wanted to write stuff simply to piss people off and generate pageviews, I’d say something a little more inflamatory than “Derek Jeter is a great player passing another great player’s record, but it’s being over-covered.”

24. neil in FL - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I’m just a baseball fan on my lunch break, not a lunatic. When your story is on the home page of NBC Sports, I expect more; though they cover every word Obama utters as Gospel also. Post a link to another story you’ve written, and I’ll read it to formulate a better opinion of the author.

25. neil in FL - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2926)