Enough with the Derek Jeter coverage already

Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EDT

I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it.  There’s the main news story.  The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.”  The regular game story that goes on and on about it.  Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.

And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.

I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do.  But let’s have some perspective here, people.  There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader.  Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees.  Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list?  Garret Anderson with the Angels.

It’s a nice record.  In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name.  But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage.  Enough already.

1. Bill@TDS - Sep 10, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Hmm. I’d think someone with the time to sit here and assault Craig in a silly and nonsensical way (writing a directly-on-point story about a player in the news is stealing that player’s name, just because you don’t agree with what he has to say about it? Wha??) would also have the time to click the “Circling the Bases” link above and read some of the dozen or so pieces Craig writes per day.

2. Brendan - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Craig: if you are at all astonished or confused by the NY Daily News’ coverage of this event, I humbly submit that you may just not be sufficiently familiar with the NY Daily News’ style of…reporting.

3. Dees - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Let’s review, for all the Yanks fans out there.
    your = possessive of you
    you’re = contraction of you + are
    Two sentences to illustrate:
    1) No one’s impressed at your ability to buy a title, Cashman.
    2) You’re a fool if you think Derek Jeter is in the same league as Babe Ruth. He’s not even the best shortstop on his own team.

4. BillyBeaneismyHero - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Greatest Yankee of all time? Are you actually serious about that? He’s better than Ruth, Mantle, Gerhig, and Dimaggio? You, Mo Green, are what some people call a moron. Derek Jeter is breaking a record that he wouldn’t even be sniffing right now if not for Lou Gerhig contracting a cruel disease.

5. Z - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:36 PM

If you really mean what you say about there being too much Jeter coverage then why did you write this blog entry? You are adding to the too much Jeter coverage.

6. Koot - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Craig,
    The nerve of you injecting commonsense and reason into the conversation. I mean, it’s not like the YES Network fawns over him over night. It’s not like Michael Kay’s knees get weak whenever he’s around him, blushing like a schoolgirl. It’s not like John Sterling, the biggest moron in sports, carries on every night about how incredible Derek is; selfless, team oriented, etc, and give the same stupid monologue about how Derek Jeter doesn’t care about personal stats. And, after that doesn’t happen everynight, he and Waldman don’t continue to drone on about how whenever anyone else says they don’t care about personal stats, they are lying, but when Derek says he doesn’t care about personal stats, he’s telling the truth.
    I mean, none of this stuff ever, ever happens. Never! So, it’s just outrageous that, when Jeter FINALLY gets his due, after so many years of toiling in obscurity, without any recognition from the media, that you have to rain on his parade!

7. GrandCards - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM

I had the exact same thought–I’m surprised that hasn’t been talked about more.

8. Christopher - Sep 10, 2009 at 12:45 PM

1. Great post, Dees.
    2. For the last couple of years, Red Sox fans have been the most obnoxious in all of baseball. But with their team’s success this year, I think the Yankees fans have retaken the lead.
    3. The Yankees fans are right that their team should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the Angels. Perhaps the Yankees will be worthy of that honor if they can ever figure out how to beat the Angels.
    4. Finally, I bet all these Jeter-worshippers believe he actually deserved those Gold Gloves he won. (Guess what, Yankee fans — at his best, he’s only an average defender. More often, he’s mediocre).

9. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 10, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Nice broad over-generalization.

10. Christopher - Sep 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Thank you for proving my point, obnoxious Yankee fan. You just keep writing fawning pieces about Jeter for your blog, and I’ll continue not to read your blog.

11. Greenie - Sep 10, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Nice but overblown.
    God I love to hate the Yankees.

12. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Is that a promise? If so, it’s a deal.

13. Jeff P. - Sep 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM

I’m with Craig on this one. I’ve never had a problem with Jeter and think he’s a class act all the way, but if you live outside of the greater New York metropolitan area like most of the country does, the amount of saturation coverage ANY Yankee gets when he even farts is pretty disturbing. I now call ESPN the Nightly Yankee News, and god help us if they make the World Series this year.

14. ta192 - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Wow, Craig, you surely did rile THEM up…

15. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM

IMAGINE THAT THE HOME TOWN NEW YORK DAILY NEWS COVERING THE BEST PLAYER TO PLAY BASEBALL IN NEW YORK IN PROBABLY DECADES. WHAT ARE THEY CRAzY …………..
    CALL ME CRAzY BUT I WOULD THINK DEREK JETER BASEBALL COVERAGE IS BETTER THAN NEWS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE FOR SMACKING MINKA KELLY AROUND ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA, WHERE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE DAILY NEWS……

16. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA, WHERE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE DAILY NEWS……

17. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:21 PM

FUNNY HOW CRAIG HAS NO PROBLEM RELAYING GOSSIP
    ABOUT KATE HUDSON AND A-ROD FROM THE DAILY NEWS………

18. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Ben, that mentioned last night Jetes- the boss gave hime that name-
    is ahead of Pete Rose- THE HIT MAN – BY 80 HITS at this age….
    I hope he does get it.

19. Simon DelMonte - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:26 PM

You think the reportage is breathless today? Jeter is likely to set the record on 9/11. And while I think there is something good about a little good happening in NYC on this terrible date, it’s inevitable that the media will tie the anniversary and the record together in some way that goes far beyond remembering what the Yankees and the Mets did for my town in 2001.

20. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM

DO YOU KNOW THAT CHICAGO HAS A ESPN, LA HAS A ESPN……..
    CRAIG IS HITTING NEW LOWS, WRITING STUFF TO GET TRAFFIC TO THE
    BLOG, COME ON GUYS GET A CLUE, CRAIG IS CREATING TRAFFIC.

21. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Pato, why did you have to hurt my feelings, no more swipes at
    the Mets until next year, MAY THEY RIP……….

22. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Most local newspaper print seven stories total, maybe that
    flew over you big brain, what did you think you were reading
    the NEW YORK GAZETTE………. YOU MIDWEST PEOPLE ARE SO FUNNY ….
    I bet their is seven stories about PUJOLS EVERYDAY ……..
    but that is good because he from St. Louis

23. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM

They collect championships, the individual awards don’t
    matter…… THE HOLIER THAN THOU BASEBALL WRITERS CHOOSE
    THOSE AWARDS…..

24. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM

HEY CRAIG, EVEN THE LADIES – WHO KNOW ALOT OF BASEBALL-
    ARE RIPPING YOU :-(

25. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM

SO, HAVING THE MOST HITS FOR THE YANKEES IS A LAME STAT…….
    Craig, RUN OUT TO HOME DEPOT AND BUY A FEW SHOVELS……..
    YOU ARE KNEE DEEP…….