Enough with the Derek Jeter coverage already

Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EST

I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it.  There’s the main news story.  The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.”  The regular game story that goes on and on about it.  Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.

And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.

I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do.  But let’s have some perspective here, people.  There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader.  Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees.  Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list?  Garret Anderson with the Angels.

It’s a nice record.  In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name.  But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage.  Enough already.

1. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM

CRAIG, PLEASE STOP TALKING TO JIM RICE ABOUT DEREK JETER.

2. HOTROD - Sep 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM

DUDE, YOU ARE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF AND DOING A REAL GOOD JOB.
    STOP HATING, I BET YOUR FAVORITE PLAYER ALWAYS MAKES THAT
    FLIP PLAY AGAINST THE A’s AND THEN TELL’S THE MEDIA
    ” WE WORK ON THAT”, TO WHICH Mr. Torre SAID ” I HAVE NO
    IDEA WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, WE NEVER PRACTICE THAT ”
    HOW ABOUT DIVING INTO THE STANDS AND BUSTING YOUR FORE HEAD
    OPEN, BLACKENING YOUR EYE ANT THE POPPING UP TO SHOW THE
    UMPIRE THE BALL, HE DID SO TWICE! OR HIS JUMP AND THROW.
    YO HAVE MADE YOURDELF LQQK LIKE A FOOL………
    WHERE ARE ALL THE SHORTSTOPS WHO DESERVE THE GOLD GLOVE MORE
    NOMAR ??? A-ROD, HE IS NOW ON JETERS LEFT, PLAYING THIRD
    WHO ARE THESE SHORTSSTOPS YOU TALK OF ???

3. Jeff P, - Sep 10, 2009 at 4:41 PM

HEY HOTROD…
    THE BUTTON TO TAKE OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK IS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD, IN CASE YOUR HEAD WAS TOO FAR UP YOUR YANKEEOGRAPHY TO NOTICE. I AM VERY AWARE OF ESPNS ACROSS THE COUNTRY, WHICH MAKES IT EVEN MORE INEXPLICABLE THAT THEIR NEW YORK TEAM COVERAGE (AND NOT JUST THE YANKS) SOAKS UP SO MUCH NATIONAL AIR TIME. THANKS FOR PROVING MY POINT WITH YOUR SATURATION REPLIES!!!

4. Motherscratcher - Sep 10, 2009 at 5:43 PM

HOTROD – I’ve seen you comment here before and I’m seriously curious: Why do you almost always type in all caps? And, why do you like to have so many comments all in a row?

5. Ron - Sep 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Actually, the Yankees have not been around since the beginning. A short history lesson.
    National Association 1871 – 1875
    National League 1876 – present
    American League 1901 – present
    Baltimore Orioles 1901 – 1903
    who then moved to New York and eventually took the name Yankees, sometime in around 1910.
    Professional baseball existed for 40 years before the Yankees came along, and thrived. The Yankess have the most championships, sure, but that doesn’t mean everyone has to fawn over them pretend like baseball history doesn’t exist outside Yankee Stadium.

6. Ryan - Sep 11, 2009 at 12:02 AM

I really enjoyed reading this. And I really want an “eye ant” now that HOTROD has brought it up…
    HOW ABOUT DIVING INTO THE STANDS AND BUSTING YOUR FORE HEAD
    OPEN, BLACKENING YOUR EYE ANT THE POPPING UP TO SHOW THE
    UMPIRE THE BALL

7. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM

All: please don’t take my attempt to defend the Yanks as an attempt to defend Yanks fans. Good lord, some of them are flat out embarrassing.
    Chill on the ALLCAPS, HOTROD, OK?

8. Brad - Sep 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Wow. This is why so many people hate the Yankees and their fans.

9. Mike from Brooklyn - Sep 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Craig – nice job In bringing out the best in Yankee fans (I mean, we know that they are all modest, sincere, and hardworking – just like their hero Derek Jeter, the greatest Yankee ever for all time).
    I cannot say I am a Jeter fan, but I can give credit where credit’s due. Plus, it is odd the Yankees never had a 3,000 hits player before – maybe that’s what happens when you use major league teams as your farm system.
    As to the point – well, what else DOES the Daily News have to write about? I mean, a House member calling the President a liar can only go so far. Plus, unless there’s another political embezzlement story out of Jersey (though the organ donor angle was priceless), then, all that’s left is Derek – who was ROBBED of the MVP award in 2006, so he DESERVES all the ink they can find.
    Oh, and many wonder why Omar went off on Adam Rubin – maybe Rubin is really a Yankee fan too (I am sure he thinks Jeter is “THE GREATEST YANKEE EVER!”.
    BTW, I am NOT an attorney and I AM a Mets’ fan.

10. flood - Sep 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I don’t know why everyone gets so fired up about this. Look at this way. A great deal of what Jeter brings to the Yankees, and to baseball doesn’t show up on the back of a baseball card. He’s a classy player, he plays hard, always tries to get that extra base, hes always tagging up on fly outs, crowding the plate and taking first base a ridiculous amount of times after getting hit. And maybe the guy deserves a day to be rewarded for that. While he may not post the power numbers of Ruth/Mantle/Dimaggio… he sure as hell plays as hard as those guys did… and for the modern yankees.. he’s every bit as important as those guys were to their teams. And by all accounts, hes an extremely talented, extremely humble, and just a classy classy player… and he’s the type of guy baseball needs to celebrate alot more.

11. HOTROD - Sep 15, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Thanks Jeff, you are so smart, how did you get so smart Jeff??
    When I grow up I want to be just like you.

12. HOTROD - Sep 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Thanks Jeff, you are so smart, how did you get so smart Jeff??
    When I grow up I want to be just like you.

13. HOTROD - Sep 15, 2009 at 4:50 PM

BECAUSE IT’S AMERICA AND I CAN, HOW IS THAT……..
    HEY MOTHERSCRATCHER- NICE NAME – CAN YOU SEND ME THE MEMO
    ANNOUNCING YOU ARE NOW IN CHARGE, I WASN’T AWARE.
    THANKS

14. HOTROD - Sep 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM

RYAN, I WASN’T AWARE MR. PERFECT WAS IN THE HOUSE, UNLIKE YOU, I’AM HUMAN AND I DO MAKE ERRORS BUT I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE BECAUSE I DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I DON’T THINK I CARE. I DON’T RESPECT PEOPLE WHO ARE SO SMART THEY HAVE TO WALK AROUND ANNOUNCING IT TO THE WORLD,BUT THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. I HOPE EVERYTHING IS OK WITH WHAT I TYPE , IF NOT WHO CARES!!!

15. Dave S - Sep 23, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Have you seen the coverage at the onion? Hilarity.

16. Chris L - Sep 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I would vastly agree with Craig on this subject. The Yankees get too much publicity and this is just another example of that. New York can publish whatever crap they wish about him on their papers, but when I turn on my TV or flip open my local paper I could care less that Derek Jeter will “eventually” pass a record. This record doesn’t even put him at 3,000 hits! Tell me when he does something worth remembering.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5948)