Sep 10, 2009, 8:50 AM EST
I’m not going to say that the New York Daily News is going overboard in their coverage of Derek Jeter’s pursuit of Lou Gehrig as the Yankees’ all-time hit king, but this morning they have no less than seven stories on their baseball front page about it. There’s the main news story. The column calling him, rather insensitively in my mind, “the pride of the Yankees.” The regular game story that goes on and on about it. Statistical backfill. Reactions from teammates. A psychological profile. And finally, a tear-jerking human interest story.
And he hasn’t even actually broken the record yet.
I congratulate Derek Jeter for his feat. I really do. But let’s have some perspective here, people. There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and each one has a hits leader. Sixteen of those thirty teams have hits leaders with more hits than Lou Gehrig had for the Yankees. Right behind Gehrig/Yankees on that list? Garret Anderson with the Angels.
It’s a nice record. In Jeter/Gehrig it’s certainly a huge name passing an even bigger name. But it’s the kind of thing that should lead to a one day news event, not a week’s worth of coverage. Enough already.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)