Sep 10, 2009, 3:22 PM EDT
* Gil Meche is unlikely to pitch again this season because of shoulder inflammation, likely finishing at 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23 starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years in Kansas City. He’s still under contract for two more seasons at $12 million per year.
* Brett Cecil held the Twins to two runs over six innings this afternoon in what will be his final start, as the Blue Jays have decided to shut down the 22-year-old rookie after he logged 142 innings between Triple-A and the majors. Toronto previously shut down fellow rookie Marc Rzepczynski after 149 innings. Both will be in the 2010 rotation.
* Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that the Red Sox have been very happy with Billy Wagner so far, but will continue to carefully monitor his workload following Tommy John elbow surgery. “I promised him when he came here that we wouldn’t let a pennant race get in the way of his health,” manager Terry Francona said.
* Tony Pena Jr.’s move to the mound is off to a solid start, as he tossed 19.1 innings with a 2.33 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio in the minors after giving up his career as a banjo-hitting shortstop. Pena the pitcher has been clocked as high as 93 miles per hour and throws a sinker, slider, and splitter.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (139)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (84)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)