Sep 10, 2009, 3:22 PM EST
* Gil Meche is unlikely to pitch again this season because of shoulder inflammation, likely finishing at 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23 starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years in Kansas City. He’s still under contract for two more seasons at $12 million per year.
* Brett Cecil held the Twins to two runs over six innings this afternoon in what will be his final start, as the Blue Jays have decided to shut down the 22-year-old rookie after he logged 142 innings between Triple-A and the majors. Toronto previously shut down fellow rookie Marc Rzepczynski after 149 innings. Both will be in the 2010 rotation.
* Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that the Red Sox have been very happy with Billy Wagner so far, but will continue to carefully monitor his workload following Tommy John elbow surgery. “I promised him when he came here that we wouldn’t let a pennant race get in the way of his health,” manager Terry Francona said.
* Tony Pena Jr.’s move to the mound is off to a solid start, as he tossed 19.1 innings with a 2.33 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio in the minors after giving up his career as a banjo-hitting shortstop. Pena the pitcher has been clocked as high as 93 miles per hour and throws a sinker, slider, and splitter.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)