Sep 10, 2009, 3:22 PM EST
* Gil Meche is unlikely to pitch again this season because of shoulder inflammation, likely finishing at 6-10 with a 5.09 ERA in 23 starts after posting a 3.82 ERA through his first two years in Kansas City. He’s still under contract for two more seasons at $12 million per year.
* Brett Cecil held the Twins to two runs over six innings this afternoon in what will be his final start, as the Blue Jays have decided to shut down the 22-year-old rookie after he logged 142 innings between Triple-A and the majors. Toronto previously shut down fellow rookie Marc Rzepczynski after 149 innings. Both will be in the 2010 rotation.
* Dan Barbarisi of the Providence Journal reports that the Red Sox have been very happy with Billy Wagner so far, but will continue to carefully monitor his workload following Tommy John elbow surgery. “I promised him when he came here that we wouldn’t let a pennant race get in the way of his health,” manager Terry Francona said.
* Tony Pena Jr.’s move to the mound is off to a solid start, as he tossed 19.1 innings with a 2.33 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio in the minors after giving up his career as a banjo-hitting shortstop. Pena the pitcher has been clocked as high as 93 miles per hour and throws a sinker, slider, and splitter.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 55
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 215
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (219)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)