Sep 11, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
The MLB Network is going to name three production studios after Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen and Vin Scully. A classy move by the network that, one hopes anyway, will provide some inspiration for all who work there. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but I’d like to think broadcasters who see these luminaries’ names on the door each day will try harder and work smarter than they otherwise would.
And even if the inspiration doesn’t work, maybe having their names on the studios will inspire some cosmic justice. Sadly, someday Harwell and Scully will join Mel Allen in broadcater Valhalla, and who’s to say their ghosts won’t drop a stage light on someone who goes on and on about how someone needs to give “110%?”
Not that they need to stop with Harwell, Allen and Scully. There has to be a lounge there, so how about naming it after Harry and Skip Caray? How about naming that visitor’s office way down at the end of the hall for Bob Uecker? The possibilities are endless.
And it doesn’t just have to be great announcers like those guys. After all, it’s a big building, and I’m sure someone can find some rooms to name after Joe Morgan, John Sterling, Rick Sutcliffe and Steve Phillips . . .
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)