Sep 11, 2009, 9:55 AM EST
The MLB Network is going to name three production studios after Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen and Vin Scully. A classy move by the network that, one hopes anyway, will provide some inspiration for all who work there. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but I’d like to think broadcasters who see these luminaries’ names on the door each day will try harder and work smarter than they otherwise would.
And even if the inspiration doesn’t work, maybe having their names on the studios will inspire some cosmic justice. Sadly, someday Harwell and Scully will join Mel Allen in broadcater Valhalla, and who’s to say their ghosts won’t drop a stage light on someone who goes on and on about how someone needs to give “110%?”
Not that they need to stop with Harwell, Allen and Scully. There has to be a lounge there, so how about naming it after Harry and Skip Caray? How about naming that visitor’s office way down at the end of the hall for Bob Uecker? The possibilities are endless.
And it doesn’t just have to be great announcers like those guys. After all, it’s a big building, and I’m sure someone can find some rooms to name after Joe Morgan, John Sterling, Rick Sutcliffe and Steve Phillips . . .
- Report: Giants close to acquiring Casey McGehee from Marlins 4
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)