Sep 11, 2009, 9:55 AM EDT
The MLB Network is going to name three production studios after Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen and Vin Scully. A classy move by the network that, one hopes anyway, will provide some inspiration for all who work there. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but I’d like to think broadcasters who see these luminaries’ names on the door each day will try harder and work smarter than they otherwise would.
And even if the inspiration doesn’t work, maybe having their names on the studios will inspire some cosmic justice. Sadly, someday Harwell and Scully will join Mel Allen in broadcater Valhalla, and who’s to say their ghosts won’t drop a stage light on someone who goes on and on about how someone needs to give “110%?”
Not that they need to stop with Harwell, Allen and Scully. There has to be a lounge there, so how about naming it after Harry and Skip Caray? How about naming that visitor’s office way down at the end of the hall for Bob Uecker? The possibilities are endless.
And it doesn’t just have to be great announcers like those guys. After all, it’s a big building, and I’m sure someone can find some rooms to name after Joe Morgan, John Sterling, Rick Sutcliffe and Steve Phillips . . .
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17