Sep 11, 2009, 12:03 PM EDT
* Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Takashi Saito’s next appearance out of the Red Sox’s bullpen will earn him a $500,000 bonus, and then after that he gets another $500,000 for every five outings. So far Saito’s incentive-laden contract has paid him $5 million for 48.2 innings of a 2.59 ERA and 46/21 K/BB ratio.
Boston holds a 2010 team option on Saito that is based on his final 2009 salary, which makes any bonus money he earns this month particularly important. Right now my guess is that the 40-year-old won’t be back with the Red Sox next season, but he’s certainly pitched well.
* Venezuela defeated the United States in the World Cup opener last night, as Marlins minor leaguer Nate Field served up a grand slam in the 11th inning. Team USA will now have to beat both Germany and China to advance to the second round.
* Boxing promoter Bob Arum and Yankees officials talked yesterday about possibly holding marquee fights at the new Yankee Stadium. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com notes that Arum was the promoter behind the Muhammad Ali-Ken Norton fight at the old Yankee Stadium in 1976.
* Not only has reliever Craig Breslow posted a 3.00 ERA and 37/16 K/BB ratio in 45 innings for the A’s since the Twins misguidedly put him on waivers, he might be the smartest player in baseball.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)