Sep 11, 2009, 1:52 PM EDT
Cubs manager Lou Piniella, on Alfonso Soriano’s chances of coming back from a knee injury to play again this season:
He’s going to go see his own doctor to get a second opinion on this thing. We’ll probably know something in the next few days. I would categorize it as doubtful that he’d return. Doubtful. I would think that if he has the procedure done before the end of the year it would be just to clean it out a little bit.
The “procedure” is arthroscopic knee surgery, which Soriano will eventually need whether he plays again this season or not.
He’s hit just .241/.303/.423 when healthy enough to be in the lineup, Chicago is 11.5 games back in the NL Central and 8.5 games back in the Wild Card at 71-67, and Soriano is owed $18 million for each of the next five seasons as part of an eight-year, $136 million contract signed in November of 2006.
In other words, getting him back in the lineup this season is the least of the Cubs’ worries at this point. And if you think Cubs fans have been disappointed with Soriano this season, try to imagine what things will be like come 2014, when he’ll be 38 years old and making $18 million. As a wise man once said, “Yeesh.”
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 0
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 13
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 36
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)