Sep 11, 2009, 1:52 PM EST
Cubs manager Lou Piniella, on Alfonso Soriano’s chances of coming back from a knee injury to play again this season:
He’s going to go see his own doctor to get a second opinion on this thing. We’ll probably know something in the next few days. I would categorize it as doubtful that he’d return. Doubtful. I would think that if he has the procedure done before the end of the year it would be just to clean it out a little bit.
The “procedure” is arthroscopic knee surgery, which Soriano will eventually need whether he plays again this season or not.
He’s hit just .241/.303/.423 when healthy enough to be in the lineup, Chicago is 11.5 games back in the NL Central and 8.5 games back in the Wild Card at 71-67, and Soriano is owed $18 million for each of the next five seasons as part of an eight-year, $136 million contract signed in November of 2006.
In other words, getting him back in the lineup this season is the least of the Cubs’ worries at this point. And if you think Cubs fans have been disappointed with Soriano this season, try to imagine what things will be like come 2014, when he’ll be 38 years old and making $18 million. As a wise man once said, “Yeesh.”
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)